Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Prayer

17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; 18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints— 19 and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel.
Ephesians 6:17-19, NKJV

Prayer

I have been a believer for a long time and yet one thing in my spiritual walk seems to concern me. I would like to have a stronger prayer life. Oh yes, I talk to God constantly throughout the day, and yet I think there is so much more to prayer that I am missing.

I would love to say that is because I am so busy. While that may have been true for many years, it really is not a valid excuse for me anymore. I think that, even though I passionately love the Lord and desire His leading an guidance in my life, I do not spend very much time just meditating and praying to God.

Think of it--God, the Creator of the universe, loves us. That love is so great that He desires communication with us. And, He is available 24/7. Prayer is more than just coming to God with all of our needs, wants, and desires. Prayer is conversation with God Himself. 

When I thought of this topic, I remembered the phrase from Ephesian 6:18: Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit. What does that really mean? Let's take this a phrase at a time:

Praying always - yes, it is good for us to be in conversation with God all day long. We literally are to live in an attitude of prayer as we understand that God walks with us through every experience of the day, He hears every conversation we have with others, and He knows our most intimate thoughts and desires. Why not, then, acknowledge His active presence in our lives and converse with Him throughout the day.

With all prayer and supplication - prayer is more than just asking. Yes, we do ask God to help and intercede in all of the events of our lives. We recognize that, as believers, we are totally dependant upon God to live and guide us through each day. That is the supplication part of the phrase. However, with the supplication is the phrase, with prayer. Prayer equals conversation with God. We pray to Him and we ponder His response. As we consider who God is, we realize the great Helper we have!

In the Spirit - Christ promised to the disciples that when He left this earth, He would send His Spirit to help and empower them. We need to get to know the Spirit. He lives within our very hearts and guides our thoughts and actions. When reading God's Word, He helps us to understand what it means and helps us to apply it to our lives. He is our Helper, Our Guide, and Our Constant Companion!.

In this study, I will be using a book entitled, "All the Prayers of the Bible," by Herbert Lockyer. My own personal goal in this study is to go to the Word of God and actually study Bible prayers and God's response to those prayers. In doing so I hope that all of us will not only understand this powerful subject much better, but that we each will become strong and powerful prayer warriors. 

In the end, may Christ be glorified. Without Him we have nothing, but with Him we have everything!

God Bless You,
Linda
  

No comments: