Wednesday, June 29, 2016

In the Beginning: A Study of the Book of Genesis

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
Genesis 1:1-2, NKJV

In the Beginning

Taken from the words of "Do, Re, Mi" - 

Let's start at the very beginning
A very good place to start.

Today we are beginning what will probably end up being a "mammoth" study on the book of Genesis. My goal is to go through the entire book a few verses at a time.

As an introduction, I would like to state my personal view of the book. Admittedly, I am not a theologian, but I am a person who has read through the Word of God countless times through my 57 years of being a believer. I take the Bible literally, and I do not apologize for that. When Genesis says, "The evening and the morning were the first day," I take that to mean a literal 24 hour day.

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."  

I have no problems with a God who can speak the world into existence, one 24 hour day at a time. I refuse to cram God into my lowly understanding as a human. No matter how advanced we become in our scientific studies, we will never be able to plumb the depths of the wisdom of God.

I take great comfort in that thought. That is the kind of God I want to serve. God does not run his train on my tracks. Neither does He apologize for His actions. Because we are people of sin and cannot possibly comprehend a pure, perfect, and holy God, it is easy for us to take offense at His actions.

We cannot understand why babies die, why famine exists in our world, and why we do not have world peace. Would not a God of love provide these things with no effort? That is our humanity speaking. Our righteous and holy God created this world and, even to this day, He orders its events so that nothing He has ordained will fail to come to pass. 

I do not want a wimpy God who has to wait until the mere humans make decisions to decide how He will respond. I want a righteous and holy God who orders all things perfectly. 

Man chose to sin, and God, even before the event occurred, had a plan in place to save a people for Himself. As a child of God, that is the greatest comfort imaginable. As His children, these years are but a vapor in time. At the end of our days on this earth, we will enter the courts of heaven where we will be with the Lord forever!

I am looking forward to meeting the characters of this book whose lives we will study. These are real people who really lived. I want to meet Adam and Eve, Abraham and Sarah, Isaac and Rebekah, and especially Joseph--and what about Moses, and Caleb, and Joshua? All of these people are alive and with the Lord right now!

So, may God richly bless us as we undertake our study of the Book of Genesis.

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: