Thursday, April 18, 2013

Trust

 1Praise ye the LORD. Praise the LORD, O my soul.
 2While I live will I praise the LORD: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being.
 3Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.
 4His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish. 
(Psalm 146:1-4, King James Version)

Trust

In what or in whom do you trust? It is a simple question, but the life of your soul depends upon your answer. The Psalmist said, "Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help. His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish."

It is a hard thing to ponder, is it not? We do trust in others; as a matter of fact we often spend our entire lives seeking those who are worthy of our trust. Yet, according to this very Psalm, it is foolish to put one's trust in any person, for, in the end, they will die and return to the earth, and on that same day, their thoughts die with them.

It is a rather somber warning, is it not? The Psalmist is going beyond the matter of simple trust, or belief in another's good intentions or even their belief system. The Psalmist is helping us to turn our hearts--even our very souls--to Christ. He begins this Psalm with the words, "Praise ye the LORD. Praise the LORD, O my soul." In other words, the Psalmist helps us to understand that there is hope for us, but that hope rests in the Lord and not in mere men or women. He continues in verse 2, "While I live will I praise the LORD: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being."

Let us, by the grace of God, take the Psalmist's words to heart. As we go about the duties of each day, let us not depend upon the goodness of man, but, rather, let us depend upon the goodness of God to give us hope and strength for each day. Let us take our instructions from God, Himself, and not from other people.

Even in our churches, we are called to examine the words spoken by our pastors and teachers in light of the Word of God. Our trust, even then, is not in their words, but in God's Word. That presumes, of course, that we know and understand God's Word.

Believers in the 21st century, are often a rather sorry lot. Having ingrained ourselves in the love of the things of this world, it is time we wrench ourselves free and ingrain ourselves, instead, in the Word of God. Let us be diligent in reading and studying God's Word, let us seek the fellowship of other believers, and let us develop a regular, close time of fellowship with God. Most of all, let us seek the Lord daily in prayer, asking for help and guidance that we may grow more and more like Christ.

In other words, let us, like the Psalmist, trust in God to lead us in the way we should go. For, as we are reminded in Revelation, God's words are true and faithful.
 5And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
 6And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
 7He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son. (Revelation 21:5-7, King James Version)
Go, then, and trust in the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, who will give to you that thirsts the fountain of the water of life freely!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: