Tuesday, March 12, 2013

No Man!

 1I cried unto the LORD with my voice; with my voice unto the LORD did I make my supplication.
 2I poured out my complaint before him; I shewed before him my trouble.
 3When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then thou knewest my path. In the way wherein I walked have they privily laid a snare for me.
 4I looked on my right hand, and beheld, but there was no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul. 
(Psalm 142:1-4, King James Version)

No Man!

Who really cares about the innermost troubles of our hearts? David, in Psalm 141, cried out in his anguish, "No man cared for my soul." He is right, is he not? When all is said and done, who is there who cares so much for us that he cares for our soul?

Now we may have friends or family who love us so much that they actually care about our souls, but who among men can actually do anything about our souls? Only Christ! Only Christ came to this earth as the God Man, suffered the indignation of this life, and then died as a guilty sinner in our place, taking on all of the punishment for our sins, so that we might have life. As the Bible says, "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." (2 Corinthians 5:21, King James Version)

What a lesson we have to learn from the example of David in Psalm 142. When practically overcome by the discouragement of his situation, he said, "I cried unto the LORD with my voice; with my voice unto the LORD did I make my supplication." His situation was so desperate that no other would suffice but God Himself! For David understood that it was only God who knew his path; it was only God who knew and could supply the innermost needs of his heart.

Have we learned to trust God so completely that we go to Him first, no matter how great or small our needs may be? Or, are we still trying to solve all of our difficulties of life in our own way, through whatever means we can imagine? We are truly a stubborn people! Even as believers, we are prone to seek any means of help we can grasp except the Lord! Why is that?

The Bible is filled with many examples of God's people doing exactly the same thing. As a matter of fact, two kings of Judah, father and son, served God and rested upon his help early in their reigns, and yet forsook God and sought the help of ungodly kings late in their respective reigns.

Asa, King of Judah, took encouragement from God's Word given to him through the prophet, as recorded in 1 Chronicles 15. When Israel came against him with a great army, he trusted in God, and God delivered him with a great victory. Yet, later in his reign, 1 Chronicles 16 describes his lack of turning to God. Seeking the help of Benhadad, king of Syria, to fight against Baasha, king of Israel, Asa suffered a great defeat.

After the death of Asa, Jehoshaphat his son became the next king of Judah. Like his father, he served and trusted God in his early years, but then suffered a great defeat when he joined Ahab, king of Israel in a battle against the king of Syria, ending with the death of Ahab. Turning back to the Lord, Ahab has a rich and prosperous rein, but again, near the end of his rein he made an alliance with the king of Israel which ended in disaster for him. Like Jehoshaphat, we too are often lured away from faithfully following God.

As believers, let us not take our faith for granted. Instead, let us implore God to keep us faithful to Him all of the days of our lives. No man cares for our soul, and no man can truly come to our aid in our times of great despair and affliction. Only God can overcome all of the troubles and sorrows of this life, for only God truly cares for our souls. Only in Christ do we have a bright, eternal future!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: