Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Face of God

 7Hear me speedily, O LORD: my spirit faileth: hide not thy face from me, lest I be like unto them that go down into the pit.
 8Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee. 
(Psalm 143:7-8, King James Version)

Face of God

It occurred to me upon reading these verses that we certainly take the face of God for granted. David understood that if God's face was hidden from him, he would be no better than those who die apart from the Lord. For, upon their deaths, the face of God is hidden from them. The most grievous aspect of hell will not be the torment! The most grievous aspect of hell will be the fact that God's face will be hidden from its occupants forever!

We are currently in the Easter season, so have heard and read much about Christ's suffering upon the cross. What was the most cruel aspect of Christ's suffering? Was it the pain and agony He suffered? No! The pain and agony Christ suffered was certainly horrific, but worse than that was the separation He experienced from God the Father. Do you remember the words Jesus cried out? "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

We cannot rightly ascertain what it truly means to be separated from God, for while on this earth, we are never separated from Him. No matter what our circumstances--no matter how grievous they may be, we are still in God's presence and are recipients of His great love and mercy. For believers, we never will know what it means to be separated from God, but unbelievers will understand that horror the moment they die.

David grasped upon God's goodness and faithfulness to him, knowing that apart from God's help, he had no hope. Understanding this, he cried out from the depths of his soul, "Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee."

It is that humble spirit of David that caused him to constantly return to God, his first love, and it is that humble spirit of David that caused him to be known as a man after God's own heart. May we, like David, understand that we need God's wisdom, help, and guidance for every single step we take in this life. From the depths of our souls, let us cry out for God's help as we wander through the difficult experiences of this life.

And, may we never know what it means to be separated from the face of God, but let us bask in His love and faithfulness to us every single day of our lives. Pray for your lost friends and family members; pray that they will come to Christ while the days of saving grace are still available to them, so that they will never experience the horror of being separated forever from the face of God!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: