Friday, February 08, 2013

Thy!

 1I will praise thee with my whole heart: before the gods will I sing praise unto thee.
 2I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.
 3In the day when I cried thou answeredst me, and strengthenedst me with strength in my soul. 
(Psalm 138:1-3, King James Version)

Thy!

I will praise thee with my whole heart: before the gods will I sing praise unto thee.

The Psalmist understood that his worship of God was before all of the gods of the nations surrounding Israel. In other words, when we worship God, we worship Him in the presence of all of the gods of this world. In a sense, we are shaking our fists at the idols of this world and saying, "But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!" (Joshua 24:15)

The Psalmist also understood that, apart from God, we have nothing; everything that we have, first of all, belongs to God. Look at all of the "Thy" words in verse 2.

*Thy holy temple
*Thy lovingkindness
*Thy truth
*Thy name

Everything belongs to the Lord, and it is from Him that we not only have all things, but it is from Him that we draw strength to live the life He has ordained for us to live. How much different is our attitude when we crawl out of bed saying, "This is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it!"? (Psalm 118:24)

When we begin to understand the implications of everything, including ourselves, belonging to the Lord, we face each day with a new purpose. For, if I belong to God, then God has a plan for me to fulfill this very day. It is our duty to develop a relationship with God, our Owner, so that we may sense His leading in our lives. It is our duty to develop the abilities and traits we have been give, for our Owner has given these specific abilities to us so that we may do the job He has planned for us to do.

These are foreign ideas in an age when we are encouraged to get everything we can for ourselves, even if we have to step on others to get them. When we view ourself as the center of our universe, then everything we do is for us! Oh, we may occasionally do something for someone else, especially if it makes us look good in the process, for in the end, that, too, will help us. What a selfish society! Yet, apart from Christ, that is the way we have lived.

Let us, then, this day, turn our eyes to Christ. Let us live this day for His honor and glory alone. Let our cry this day be to God: "Thy will be done!"

What an amazing God we serve!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: