Friday, February 15, 2013

Thoughts of God!

 17How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!
 18If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee. 
(Psalm 139:17-18, King James Version)

Thoughts of God!

God thinks about each and every one of His children far more than they think of Him! At least, that is certainly what the Psalmist is implying in verses 17 and 18, of Psalm 139.
How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.
Have you ever had a wonderful dream and then were disappointed when you awoke to find it was only a dream? That seems to be the inference of the Psalmist in these verses, with one exception. When the Psalmist awoke, he was still with God. In other words, it was not a dream--it was the truth.

It is very hard for us to fathom God, the ruler of the entire universe having time to ever even think of us even once, let alone having Him think of us so many times that His thoughts are more in number than the sand. Now, I know my husband loves me, but even he does not think of me more than the number of the grains of sand, and neither do I think of him that often, even though he frequently occupies my thoughts.

Of course, God is not a creature of time, nor is He confined to one thought or one place at a time. He can think of millions of people all at the same time and still give each of them His undivided (so to speak) attention. It is more than we can possibly comprehend. Yet, it is true that God is very acquainted with each and every one of His children--He knows us better than we know ourselves.

As a young child, I was taught, in Sunday School, the concept that Jesus goes with me everywhere I go. For some reason (which is good, I suppose), I have always carried that thought with me. That does not mean that I only made good choices, for sadly, I took Jesus to some very inappropriate places throughout my life. Thankfully, He moved me back upon the right path, and forgave my indiscretions.

I found, however, that the world is not very comfortable with a true believer who lives according to God's Word. As a matter of fact, they are very quick to remind us anytime we fail. Years ago, I was confronted by an unbeliever at work. She said to me, "I thought Christians were not supposed to speed? I was following you into work and you were speeding." Of course, that meant she was speeding, too, but that was different. However, it was a good lesson to me. The world will hold us accountable to Biblical standards even if it feels no need to follow those same standards.

She was right, of course. I should not have been speeding. Even in a small way, I was disobeying the Lord, and I got caught by a person of the world. It was a lesson to me, that even when driving my car, I have an obligation to be obedient to God's commands. I like to think that God has a great sense of humor, and He loves to call us down for our sins, especially at the hands of unbelievers.

The lesson the Psalmist is teaching us in these verses are that, though we may not think of God, He is always thinking of us. Whatever we do, whatever we say, and even whatever we think is laid open before our Father God. Yet, He loves us enough that He sent His only Son to pay the price of those same sins.

Let us, then, fall down before our Holy and Righteous Father, asking for help to live our lives, and think our thoughts, in a manner that is pleasing to Him, for the thoughts of God are always upon us!

God Bless You,
Linda


No comments: