Saturday, January 05, 2013

Sow in Tears

 5They that sow in tears shall reap in joy.
 6He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him. 
(Psalm 126:5-6, King James Version)

Sow in Tears

One of the concerns that I have in today's Christian community is the propensity to speak of the "abundant life." I will admit, it is much easier to convince people to follow the Lord if we promise them an abundant life, but what happens to them, then, when their world begins to fall apart? While it is true that the Christian life is, indeed, an abundant life, we must realize that this present life will be filled with many times of great sorrow and affliction. The abundant life is two-fold. First, we have a great Advocate who will lift us up and carry us through our difficulties, and second, we have a great eternal home that will follow this vale of tears.

Psalm 126 closes with two very familiar and beautiful verses. They that sow in tears shall reap in joy. He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.

What a precious reminder that nothing that happens to us in this life does so apart from the tender mercies of our Lord Jesus Christ. Much of what we do on this earth will be our "sowing in tears," especially regarding the things we do for the Lord. We are not promised that we will ever have the opportunity to reap that joy while still on this earth. In other words, most of the results of what we do for the Lord on this earth, will never be revealed to us until we reach heaven.

But then, we are not really doing these things to make a great name for ourselves, are we? We serve the Lord because we love Him. Recognizing that He is the One who gave us the abilities we have, nothing we do brings glory to us, but rather glorifies the Lord. It is important, then, that we do not let what often appears to be a lack of results, to deter us from continuing our work for the Lord.

I do not often give personal examples in my writing, but I will share one with you. As many of you know, I have a website called Devotional Reflections from the Bible. For years I closely followed my traffic patterns, becoming more and more excited when the daily traffic grew higher and higher to a very impressive number. Then, one day, about a year ago, my traffic cut in half. I was devastated! How could that be?

For months I struggled, wondering whether I should even continue. Thankfully, through the wisdom of many people, such as my husband, I began to view things in an entirely different manner. It's not about the traffic! God has given me a burden, a desire, and an ability. It is important that I continue to do what God has called me to do. It is true that there are many who could do a better job, but this is what God has called me to do. The results are entirely in God's hands, not mine. I realized that even at my present daily traffic, many a pastor who be delighted with a congregation of this size. Now, however, I rarely look at the numbers, but look to God for the results.

Let us then, not grow weary in well doing, but continue to sow in tears, knowing that we will doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing our sheaves with us!

What an amazing God we serve!

God Bless You,
Linda







No comments: