Wednesday, December 12, 2012

They Are for War!

 1In my distress I cried unto the LORD, and he heard me.
 2Deliver my soul, O LORD, from lying lips, and from a deceitful tongue.
 3What shall be given unto thee? or what shall be done unto thee, thou false tongue?
 4Sharp arrows of the mighty, with coals of juniper.
 5Woe is me, that I sojourn in Mesech, that I dwell in the tents of Kedar!
 6My soul hath long dwelt with him that hateth peace.
 7I am for peace: but when I speak, they are for war. 
(Psalm 120, King James Version)

They Are for War!

As we leave Psalm 119 we come to the last 31 Psalms of the book of Psalms. Psalm 120 recounts the difficulties and frustrations of the Psalmist who was surrounded by the ungodly. Finding no comfort in his surroundings, the writer cried out to the Lord for help and comfort. God, who faithfully surrounds His children, even in the worst of situations, responded to the Psalmist with comfort.

Just what were the difficulties the Psalmist faced? Though we live thousands of years later, the frustrations of the writer do have a familiar sound to us, do they not? How often do we cry to God in the same manner, "Deliver my soul, O LORD, from lying lips, and from a deceitful tongue." Sadly, the greatest pain can come to us from the lips of friends, or former friends. David expressed the same thing in Psalm 41:
 9Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me. (Psalm 41:9, King James Version)
The Psalmist, seemed to have lived right in the middle of those who hated the Lord. The feeling of their reproach was compared to the coals of a juniper which catches fire easily, blazes fiercely, and lasts longer than other wood. When caught in similar circumstances, it is good for us to remember that though the pains  and griefs of this earth may be ever so strong, yet they are nothing in the light of Christ's suffering for us and in comparison to the eternity to come. Indeed, God's grace is available to help and comfort us in our times of greatest need!

Verse 7 is especially interesting, as we live in a time when all seem to desire peace, and yet we are constantly bombarded by wars as nation continues to rise up against nation. As we are in the middle of the Christmas holiday season, this verse reminded me of the familiar song: "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day," (words by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow).

I heard the bells on Christmas day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

I thought how as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along the unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

And in despair I bowed my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said.
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep"
"God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men."

Till. ringing singing. on its way,
The world revolved from night to day.
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime,
Of peace on earth, good will to men!

And that is our hope, is it not. Though wars continue and man rages against God, the time will come when Christ shall return and all of the wrongs will be made right, and peace will reign on all the earth!

God Bless You,
Linda


No comments: