Saturday, December 08, 2012

Great Peace!

 165Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.
 166LORD, I have hoped for thy salvation, and done thy commandments.
 167My soul hath kept thy testimonies; and I love them exceedingly.
 168I have kept thy precepts and thy testimonies: for all my ways are before thee. 
(Psalm 119:165-168, King James Version)

Great Peace!

Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

One has only to look at the current headlines to realize that the 21st century is not exactly a time of great peace. For example, here are just a few of today's headlines.

*Major quake strikes off Japan.
*Philippines buries its dead as typhoon Bopha death toll rises.
*Italian stocks drop in quiet Europe markets.
*FBI: Confessed Killer planned to strike again.
*Fiscal Cliff imperils adoption tax credit.

The Psalmist, himself, did not live during a time of great peace either, yet he had learned the secret of inner peace even during a tumultuous time. His heart was settled in God as revealed to him through God's Word, which he not only read, but which he loved exceedingly!

Could it be so simple? Is that deep inner peace within our grasp as well? Yes, but there is more.
I have kept thy precepts and thy testimonies: for all my ways are before thee.
Our relationship with the Lord is much like a two-sided coin. We see God, and God sees us. Our relationship with the Lord is a love/fear relationship. We love Him, because He first loved us. We obey Him because we know that nothing we do is ever hid from His eyes, both good or bad.

Consider some of these encouraging words of the Lord Jesus Christ from John 5.
 24Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.  
36But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me.  
37And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. 
39Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 
44How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?
Jesus, speaking to His listeners laid out the true secret of inner peace. We, who are so prone to seek honor from men, must seek honor from God, alone, who has revealed Himself to us through His only Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. In Christ we do not have condemnation, but rather everlasting life. 

And with that everlasting life comes great peace!

God Bless You,
Linda






No comments: