Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Do Not Forget!

 173Let thine hand help me; for I have chosen thy precepts.
 174I have longed for thy salvation, O LORD; and thy law is my delight.
 175Let my soul live, and it shall praise thee; and let thy judgments help me.
 176I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek thy servant; for I do not forget thy commandments. 
(Psalm 119:173-176, King James Version)

Do Not Forget!

As we come to this, the last devotion from Psalm 119, the Psalmist stated, "I do not forget thy commandments." What a theme for one's life! Yet, how easy it is for us to do exactly that. Surrounded by the glitz and glamor of the 21st Century, we Christians must constantly be on our guard so that the things of this world do not wipe away the clear teaching of God's Word and its influence in our lives.

The Psalmist, in these last four verses, repeats some of the same sentiments found earlier in this Psalm:

*I have chosen thy precepts
*I have longed for thy salvation
*Thy law is my delight
*Let my soul live
*Let thy judgments help me.

Like the Psalmist, we do not have to live long to identify with the Psalmist's words: I have gone astray like a lost sheep. How did the Psalmist then respond? Seek thy servant; for I do not forget thy commandments. Returning to God's Word set his steps on the right path again.

What an amazing ending to this glorious Psalm! The writer praised God for His Word and its benefits in his life. Truly, the Christian today can feel the same longings, for we, too, long for the salvation which will be culminated when we enter the gates of Heaven. Yet, while still on this earth we, too, find a great delight in the law of God. For in its pages we find hope, rest, joy, and, above all, salvation! At a time when one can look far and wide and yet not find truth, we can confidently rest in the truth of God's Word.

At a time when there is so much misinformation and so many varying ideas as far as what is taught in the name of religion in our day, what a delight to look to God's Word and read the plain truths given there. As believers, it is our responsibility to faithfully read and study God's Word, praying that God will teach us His truth and help us to have discernment.

Go then today, in the strength and power of the Lord, and do not forget His Word and commandments!

God Bless You,
Linda



No comments: