Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Law or Vanity?

 113I hate vain thoughts: but thy law do I love.
 114Thou art my hiding place and my shield: I hope in thy word.
 115Depart from me, ye evildoers: for I will keep the commandments of my God.
 116Uphold me according unto thy word, that I may live: and let me not be ashamed of my hope. 
(Psalm 119:113-116, King James Version)

The Law or Vanity

When one grows weary of the double-minded nature of most people, how quickly one's heart gravitates toward the wholesome purity and truth of God's Word. Perhaps that is exactly what the Psalmist had in mind when he said, "I hate vain thoughts: but thy law do I love."

I fear we are far too cynical in the culture in which we live. We do not even really expect people to be sincere, just so they sound nice and are somewhat believable. Perhaps that is due to our open distrust of politicians, or perhaps we have been "burned" so many times that we insulate ourselves from being hurt again.

Unfortunately, the lines are drawn rather markedly. We, as believers, must really trust in God's Law or we accept the vanity of our culture in which everyone does what is pleasing to themselves without much regard for anyone else. Oh, we all seem to rally when a great cataclysmic event strikes, such as Hurricane Sandy, but it does not take long until we are all back living our normal, selfish lifestyles.

For the true believer, there is great hope and peace in Christ. The Psalmist said, "Thou art my hiding place and my shield: I hope in thy word." At some point in our lives, hopefully sooner rather than later, we must all come to the decision-making point where we join the Psalmist in declaring, "Depart from me, ye evildoers: for I will keep the commandments of my God."

It is good for us to take the time to stop and evaluate our lives before God. How do we personally measure up according to the standards of His Word? Are we truly different than those around us, or are we really no different than the people of the world?

The next question we must face, then, is: Do we love our neighbors? Do we care that those around us are lost, or are we quite happy to let them go on their way, unloved and unknowing. It seems as though the Gospel has permeated the entire world so that everyone should know the truth, but is that really true? Do the people you interact with each day understand the Gospel? Do they even understand the difference between the Law or vanity?

As we approach the holiday season, let us pray for a greater love for the lost with whom we interact each day. Let us pray that God will open their eyes to the truth of His Word, and by His grace, may even use us to share the Gospel with them.

After all, that is why we are here, is it not?

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: