Friday, November 09, 2012

Taught by God

 101I have refrained my feet from every evil way, that I might keep thy word.
 102I have not departed from thy judgments: for thou hast taught me.
 103How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
 104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 
(Psalm 119:101-104, King James Version)

Taught by God

How does one know right from wrong? How does one know to choose one direction or another? Certainly, no matter what options are available, it seems as though there is no end of supporters for either choice. The writer of Psalm 119 directs us back to God, saying, "I have refrained my feet from every evil way, that I might keep thy word."

He, then, continues, "I have not departed from thy judgments: for thou hast taught me." Taught by God! How amazing is that? God does not leave us to helplessly wonder what actions are good and proper--what actions are right according to Him.

Understanding, then, the importance of God's Word in directing his life, the psalmist declared, "How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!" It is God's Law which directs us so that we understand what is right and just, and what is not. Should we not, then, diligently find ourselves searching, studying, and praying as directed by God Himself?

The Word of God, unlike other books, is not a book one can read once and say, "I have finished it." Rather, our Bibles should be our constant companions. Not only should we be continually reading God's Word from cover to cover, but we should also immerse ourselves in small sections, or books, digging out the gold mines of truth hidden with its pages.

We live in a rare time when most of us are not prevented by our countries or governments from reading and studying God's Word. If we do not have good resources for studying the Bible in our homes, there is certainly a plethora of material on the internet. One of my husband and my favorite sites is: archive.org. Thousands and thousands of free books are available to download and read--works from some of the greatest religious leaders and theologians our world has ever known.

Sadly, not everyone in the world has this freedom. There are many trapped in countries, forbidden to own copies of the Bible. Let us pray for our persecuted brothers and sisters in the Lord, and let us immerse ourselves in God's truths while we still have the freedom to do so!

Let us work diligently to be taught by God. It is He who made us, it is He who knows and understands us, and it is He who will safely bring us home to live with Him forever.

Even so, come quickly, Lord Jesus!

God Bless You,
Linda



No comments: