Saturday, November 10, 2012

Lamp unto My Feet

 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
 106I have sworn, and I will perform it, that I will keep thy righteous judgments.
 107I am afflicted very much: quicken me, O LORD, according unto thy word.
 108Accept, I beseech thee, the freewill offerings of my mouth, O LORD, and teach me thy judgments. 
(Psalm 119:105-108, King James Version)

Lamp unto My Feet

One of the disadvantages of city life is that one does not always understand how dark night really is, for in the city, lights shine brilliantly through the entire night. Years ago, we had the opportunity to spend a few nights in a campground in Arkansas which had no lights at night. I was amazed at how dark night really is -- and how quiet!

Unfortunately, we do not understand the darkness of sin that permeates our hearts and lives, apart from the Lord Jesus Christ. Yet, even before coming to Christ, God's Word faithfully shines into hearts darkened by sin, pointing them to Christ, the Light of the Word who can end their eternal state of darkness forever.

As believers, God's Word continues to grow and mature us, lighting the way that God has ordained for us to walk, keeping us from the entanglement of sin that lurks in all of the dark corners of life. With great confidence the Psalmist declares, I have sworn, and I will perform it, that I will keep thy righteous judgments. It is not an easy path he has chosen to follow for it leads to much affliction and many sorrows; knowing his need he cried out to the LORD, quicken me . . . according to thy word.

As believers, do we have that same sense of dependency upon Christ, as well as the hungering and longing shown by the Psalmist for the Word of God? When life seems to overwhelm us, where do we turn? Could it be that the peace we so long for evades us because we so seldom find ourselves pouring over God's Word?

Our Bibles are precious gifts given to us by God; may we not take them for granted, but spend many days, hours, yes, even weeks, months, and years, immersing ourselves in its glorious pages. The Bible is a living book, pointing us to Christ, and refreshing the hunger in our souls. May we find its comfort sweet and precious until the day God calls us to Him, when Christ, the Living Word, welcomes us home.

God Bless You,
Linda


No comments: