Thursday, October 04, 2012

Teach Me

 33Teach me, O LORD, the way of thy statutes; and I shall keep it unto the end.
 34Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law; yea, I shall observe it with my whole heart.
 35Make me to go in the path of thy commandments; for therein do I delight.
 36Incline my heart unto thy testimonies, and not to covetousness.
 37Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity; and quicken thou me in thy way.
 38Stablish thy word unto thy servant, who is devoted to thy fear.
 39Turn away my reproach which I fear: for thy judgments are good.
 40Behold, I have longed after thy precepts: quicken me in thy righteousness. 
(Psalm 119:33-40, King James Version)

Teach Me

As we look at the fifth section of Psalm 119, beginning in Hebrew with the letter He, the emphasis of the entire section is on, "Teach Me, O LORD." In other words, the psalmist understood that he could not, in and of himself, make a grand effort to live for the Lord successfully. The emphasis is not on what the psalmist planned to do, but rather on what he implored God to do for him.

Each line contains a plea:

*Teach me, O Lord, the way of thy statutes.
*Give me understanding.
*Make me to go in the path of thy commandments.
*Incline my heart unto thy testimonies.
*Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity.
*Stablish thy word unto thy servant.
*Turn away my reproach which I fear.
*Quicken me in thy righteousness.

How do we approach the Lord? Are we confident in our own ability to do things right, but just want God to give us an, "Atta boy?" Are we self sufficient in our walk with the Lord, and doing a pretty good job of it?

The Psalmist understood the secret of a faithful walk with the Lord. He understood that he could not, in his own strength and power, successfully live the Christian life. Instead, he turned his heart completely to the Lord and said, "Teach me."

Yes, he delighted in the commandments of the Lord, but only after God made him go in the path of His commandments. Yes, he observed God's law with his whole heart, but only after God gave him understanding. We never truly begin to walk faithfully with the Lord until we come to the understanding that we are not able, in and of ourselves, to do so. It is God who saves us, it is God who keeps us, and it is God who faithfully takes us over the hills and through the valleys of this life, into the arms of our Savior.

If you find yourself despondent, and unhappy with your walk with the Lord, it is a good thing! Only when we finally give up on ourselves and truly turn to the Lord do we find that sweet and wonderful fellowship with Him.

It was a lesson the Israelites learned over and over again, and yet continually forgot. Who won the battle at Jericho? God! Who gave them success from their enemies? God. Who failed when they tried to do it in their own power? The Israelites!

Go to God today and say, "Teach me, O LORD, the way of thy statutes." Only then can you say, "And I shall keep it unto the end."

God Bless You,
Linda





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just absolutely love these devotions on Psalm 119. When I read them, I feel such a beautiful presence of the Lord. Thank You Jesus!