Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Lying

 29Remove from me the way of lying: and grant me thy law graciously.
 30I have chosen the way of truth: thy judgments have I laid before me.
 31I have stuck unto thy testimonies: O LORD, put me not to shame.
 32I will run the way of thy commandments, when thou shalt enlarge my heart. 
(Psalm 119:29-32, King James Version)

Lying

Remove me from the way of lying: and grant me thy law graciously.

What a wonderful aspiration, but just how do we accomplish such a thing? We may not be guilty of out and out lying, but we are all certainly guilty of stretching and bending the truth, or even just letting someone believe an untruth without correcting their false view. As a Christian, is there a time when we should either lie, or at least not correct someone's false assumption?

We have some specific examples of lying in the Bible which would lead us to the view that sometimes a lie is better than the truth. A classic example is Rahab, in Joshua 2. Perhaps you remember the story. Joshua had sent spies to Jericho, who lodged in the home of Rahab, the harlot. Though she had hidden the spies in her house, she told the king that she had no idea which way they went. Her bravery saved her life as well as the lives of her family members. Are we to understand from this story that sometimes lying is the best way? Can we correctly say that the ends justifies the means?

To view God's commandments from this vantage point is called situational ethics. If we believed in situational ethics, we would say that to lie in this case is good, but at others times it is bad. It all depends on the situation involved. However, the Bible still tells us, Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor. Could God have saved the spies from harm even if Rahab had not lied? We certainly limit God, do we not?

Knowing his own propensity to lie, the Psalmist implored God to help him. I have chosen the way of truth: thy judgments have I laid before me. I have stuck unto thy testimonies: O LORD, put me not to shame. Let us, by the grace of God, choose the way of truth. Let us pray that God would give us wisdom, and care in choosing our words so that we will always be truthful.

Let us pray that God would enlarge our hearts, or as the New International Version states: broaden my understanding. How can we broaden our understanding? As we read and study the Word of God faithfully, it is true that we will incorporate its truths more and more into every aspect of our daily lives. By the grace of God, we can learn to think as God would think, and do as Christ would do.

In all of His conversations with the people, whether just common people or the religious leaders of that day, Jesus never lied. Even when tempted by the devil, himself, Jesus did not tell one lie. Even as a boy when He stayed in Jerusalem to visit with the scribes, 12 year old Jesus did not lie to Mary and Joseph.

May God grant to us truth-filled hearts that are so in love with the Lord, that we will not fear to speak the truth at all times.

God Bless You,
Linda





No comments: