Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Let!

 77Let thy tender mercies come unto me, that I may live: for thy law is my delight.
 78Let the proud be ashamed; for they dealt perversely with me without a cause: but I will meditate in thy precepts.
 79Let those that fear thee turn unto me, and those that have known thy testimonies.
 80Let my heart be sound in thy statutes; that I be not ashamed. 
(Psalm 119:77-80, King James Version)

Let!

In this portion of Psalm 119, the writer turns to a series of inner reflections. each beginning with the word, "let."

*Let thy tender mercies come unto me
*Let the proud be ashamed
*Let those that fear thee turn unto me
*Let my heart be sound in thy statutes

One almost gets the sense that the Psalmist is sighing to the Lord, yearning for His guidance and direction. Each plea is followed with a brief explanation.

Let thy tender mercies come unto me, that I may live.
Let the proud be ashamed . . . but I will meditate in thy precepts.
Let those that fear thee turn unto me . . . let my heart be sound in thy statutes; that I be not ashamed.

What I love the most about these reflections is the writer's utter dependance upon God. He does not desire completion based upon what he can or will do, but rather, he understands that he must turn everything over to God who, alone, controls all things. And, as he meditates upon the Word of God, he is at peace with that realization.

We, even as Christians, are often a troubled people. The complexities of life often seem to overwhelm us, so that life seems to be spinning out of control. But, is it really? Is not God, the Creator and Ruler of this world still in control? Does one sparrow die or one hair fall from our heads without the knowledge of our God? Are our troubles more than He can comprehend or control?

Let us, like the Psalmist, turn our hearts, our lives, and our wills completely over to God, understanding that it is not up to us, as mere men and women to solve the intricate problems of this universe. Let us, rather, rest in God who has never lost control. All things continue in the exact coarse determined by God before time even began, and will continue to do so until the exact moment He has already determined that time will cease.

Let us pray that our hearts will be sound in His statutes, that we might not be ashamed!

God Bless You,
Linda


No comments: