Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Laid Low

 25My soul cleaveth unto the dust: quicken thou me according to thy word.
 26I have declared my ways, and thou heardest me: teach me thy statutes.
 27Make me to understand the way of thy precepts: so shall I talk of thy wondrous works.
 28My soul melteth for heaviness: strengthen thou me according unto thy word. 
(Psalm 119:25-28, King James Version)

Laid Low

The New International Version of verse 25 says, I am laid low in the dust; preserve my life according to your word. We have all experienced that point, have we not, where we are literally laid low? There is no direction to go other than up.

Can spiritual problems lay us low? Can it really be true that we can find help for ourselves without going to the doctor for a prescription, or without a visit to our Psychiatrist? There is nothing wrong with seeking medical help, taking prescriptions, or visiting a mental health professional, however, I think we often forget that our problem may be one that cannot be helped by any of these means. It may be that we need to go to the source of our difficulties: the state of our soul.

The writer of Psalm 119 had certainly reached that point; his soul was laid low in the dust. Understanding his true need, he went to the Lord: Quicken thou me according to thy word. I fear we do not begin to understand the power of God's Word; if we did we would hardly be able to put it down. Our entire universe is governed by its Creator God, and it continues to exist according to the natural laws He has instituted.

Our bodies are fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14, KJV). We have made some wonderful advancements in the field of medicine, but in doing so we have discovered that there is so much more that we do not understand, especially in the understanding of how our emotional health affects our bodies physically, or even more, how our spiritual health affects our physical bodies.

Realizing that God had heard his pleas, the Psalmist implored God: Teach me thy statutes. Make me to understand the way of thy precepts. Is there a correlation between our knowledge of the Word of God and our physical health? Yes! Our very attitude toward life in general and our physical bodies specifically is tempered by our understanding and acceptance of this amazing God we serve. It is right that we seek professional help for our physical ailments, but we do so understanding that God controls all things.

When we reach the point that our soul melts for heaviness, let us cry out to God, as did the Psalmist, Strengthen thou me according unto thy word. Then let us immerse ourselves in reading and studying the Word of God given to us by God to help us understand who He is and how He aids us in fighting our three greatest enemies: the world, the flesh, and the devil.

God Bless You,
Linda


No comments: