Friday, October 12, 2012

Companions

 57Thou art my portion, O LORD: I have said that I would keep thy words.
 58I intreated thy favour with my whole heart: be merciful unto me according to thy word.
 59I thought on my ways, and turned my feet unto thy testimonies.
 60I made haste, and delayed not to keep thy commandments.
 61The bands of the wicked have robbed me: but I have not forgotten thy law.
 62At midnight I will rise to give thanks unto thee because of thy righteous judgments.
 63I am a companion of all them that fear thee, and of them that keep thy precepts.
 64The earth, O LORD, is full of thy mercy: teach me thy statutes. 
(Psalm 119:57-64, King James Version)

Companions

Who are our companions? We are told that we can learn much about a person based upon the companions he or she keeps. The Psalmist of Psalm 119, in verse 63, placed an emphasis on the importance of keeping the right companions.

As the Psalmist recounted his faithfulness to keeping the Word of God, he recognized the danger of the influence of the wicked: The bands of the wicked have robbed me. "Not to worry, though," he said, for I am a companion of all them that fear thee, of of them that keep thy precepts.

One of the greatest challenges facing Christians not only in our day, but since the beginning of time, has been living in this world, rubbing shoulders with the lost, and yet maintaining a faithful testimony with the Lord.

We often miss the significance of what the Lord did with the nation of Israel to keep them from integrating the gods of their enemies into their own spiritual lives. While Jacob was still alive, God used the a famine and the events surrounding Joseph to preserve the newly developing nation from integration with the Canaanites or the Egyptians. Due to the severe famine, Jacob and his descendants, then numbering 70, moved to the land of Egypt.

How did God keep them from integrating the Egyptians gods into their lives? By profession they were shepherds, but shepherds were an abomination to the Egyptians. So, the family of Jacob, by the authority of Joseph, moved to the land of Goshen and remained a separate people. By the time 400 years had passed, they were a people still faithful to God, and mighty in number.

We face similar challenges in our day. Often it is easier to incorporate worldly ideas and influences into our belief system than to remain faithful to God's Word, especially if we fear negative retribution from those with whom we live. Like the Psalmist, we would do well to maintain some close relationships with other Godly people who desire to love and please the Lord above all.

However, above all, we need to seek help from the Lord, as did the Psalmist when he said, "The earth, O LORD, is full of thy mercy: teach me thy statutes."

Go, then, in the strength and power of the Lord, thinking on His ways, and turning your feet unto His testimonies!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: