Monday, October 08, 2012

According to Thy Word

 41Let thy mercies come also unto me, O LORD, even thy salvation, according to thy word.
 42So shall I have wherewith to answer him that reproacheth me: for I trust in thy word.
 43And take not the word of truth utterly out of my mouth; for I have hoped in thy judgments.
 44So shall I keep thy law continually for ever and ever. 
(Psalm 119:41-44, King James Version)

According to Thy Word

According to Thy Word, and that makes all the difference!

With so many belief systems in our world today, how is one to know which one to believe, In a sense, that is the theme of Psalm 119, for the answer lies in God's Holy Word. God introduces Himself to His people as, "I am." In other words, at a time when each nation had their god or gods, how was one to know who to believe? God stated to Moses, "Tell them that 'I Am' has sent you."
 13And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?
 14And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.
 15And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, the LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations. (Exodus 3:13-15, King James Version)

In other words, in a world of many gods, He, alone is God who is above all others. In Him we can rest our assurance and find our completion.

A study of God's Word reveals our God who created all things from nothing, created man and placed him in His beautiful garden. Man, however, listening to the voice of Satan fell from that beautiful estate. Because he desired to be like God, he entered into an estate of sin and misery, which would end in death. Was there no hope?

Yes, our hope is in Christ, the perfect man, the God Man, who took upon Himself the humiliation of this world, subjected Himself to the cruel torment and death at the hands of mockers. Christ, the Son of God, the God Man, submitted Himself to death upon the cross so that He might do what no mere man ever could--He took upon Himself all of the sin of His people and brought them before God as holy and clean.

All of that is encompassed in these few verses, for upon studying the Word of God we learn all of the truths of God. Where do we go for an answer to those who reproach us? We trust in God's Word.

Let us, then, like the Psalmist cry out to God our Father that He would not take His Word of truth utterly out of our mouths, but rather continue to give us hope in His judgments. This is the only way we can hope to conclude with the Psalmist: So shall I keep thy law continually for ever and ever.

God Bless You,
Linda



No comments: