Friday, September 14, 2012

What Shall I Render?

 12What shall I render unto the LORD for all his benefits toward me?
 13I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the LORD.
 14I will pay my vows unto the LORD now in the presence of all his people. 
(Psalm 116:12-14, King James Version)

What Shall I Render?

The Psalmist asks a simple question: What shall I render unto the LORD for all his benefits toward me? Indeed, what shall we give to the Lord? What can we give to One who has given so much to us? God only desires one thing of us, and that is ourselves.

The Psalmist understood this; God has granted such a full and complete salvation, and yet most in this world pass right on by, with not a thought of doing anything else. A simple turning to the Lord would drastically change their lives and set them on a course they would never regret for all eternity.

I am often amazed as I walk with my dog, that we live in a world created by such an awesome God, and yet as a people, only a few even pause for a moment to consider the hands that gave them life and a beautiful world in which to live. Granted this world is forever marred by the destruction of sin, and yet God's loving hand is still evident no matter where we look. But for most in this world, life to them is what they see right before their eyes. Set upon a path deemed to gain them the most from this life, God is simply cast to the side as One who is totally irrelevant--One, who to their mind's eye does not even really exist.

What of the people of God? What of those who claim to know and believe that God truly does rule over all things. Sadly, even most professing Christians are so caught up in the enticements of this world, dazed by the gods of this age that they hardly pause even a moment to think about God, much less take the time to read and study His Word.

What does God require of His people? Is He content to sit in the background until some emergency brings His presence to the forefront of our thoughts? God requires that His children live, think, and act as those who are so in love with their Creator God that they can scarcely go a moment without sending praises to His name. He desires that His children hold all of their thoughts captive to Him. Their awareness of His rule continually goes before them, leading, guiding, and assisting them to live lives that praise and honor His holy name.

Now, how did I get all of that out of Psalm 116? That is the essence of what the Psalmist means when he said, I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the LORD, I will pay my vows unto the LORD now in the presence of all his people.

What shall I render to the Lord?

I challenge all who name the name of the Lord Jesus Christ to take the cup of salvation, call upon the name of the Lord, and run with patience the race that God has set before them (Hebrews 12:1), in the presence of all his people. Go with God both today, and forever!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: