Tuesday, September 25, 2012

God is the Lord

 25Save now, I beseech thee, O LORD: O LORD, I beseech thee, send now prosperity.
 26Blessed be he that cometh in the name of the LORD: we have blessed you out of the house of the LORD.
 27God is the LORD, which hath shewed us light: bind the sacrifice with cords, even unto the horns of the altar.
 28Thou art my God, and I will praise thee: thou art my God, I will exalt thee.
 29O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever. 
(Psalm 118:25-29, King James Version)

God is the Lord

Today's devotional in our series, First Love, concludes Psalm 118, and comes right on the heels of yesterday's devotional. The Psalmist rightly understood that all of our health, joy, happiness, and even prosperity comes from the hands of the Lord. Yesterday we learned that Jesus Christ is our chief cornerstone; He it is who has saved us, and it is He who will keep us close to Him all of the days of our lives.

God, even in the pages of the Old Testament, pointed to the Lord Jesus Christ who would come as the Light and Life for all who believe. How else can we respond, but as the Psalmist did: Thou art my God, and I will praise thee: thou art my God, I will exalt thee. O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.

When will we as children of God finally come to the same conclusion as did the Psalmist? Why is it that we spend so much time, effort, and money on the things of this world so that we might be happy, healthy, or wise? Why have so many Christians become immersed in the entrapments of the world?

The answer is quite simple; we have taken our eyes away from the Lord and feasted on the tantalizing temptations of the world. Yet, in our heart of hearts we know that peace, joy, and happiness are not things that we can gain from this world. Oh, we can receive a real rush if we find ourselves to be the recipient of a large amount of money, but that "happiness" we think we have achieved is only elusive. In just a little while the joy we experience is turned to emptiness, and sometimes even bitterness.

It is a hard thing, in the modern industrialized nations of this world to really be happy, peaceful, and content in the Lord. Can we really say with Paul? Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. (Philippians 4:11-12, King James Version)

As Christians have we learned to be full and hungry, or to be abased and to abound? Have we learned that our happiness and joy rests only in Christ and not in the many things offered to us in the world? Let us take some time and read the verses shown above from Psalm 118. Then, let us fall down before the Lord and ask Him to show us how to make those words a reality in our own hearts and lives.

God Bless You,
Linda

Join me tomorrow as we begin one of the most amazing Psalms ever written: Psalm 119. Expect to be blessed by the Lord as we slowly walk through this Psalm.


No comments: