Thursday, September 27, 2012

Direction

 5O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
 6Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
 7I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
 8I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly. 
(Psalm 119:5-8, King James Version)

Direction

If you were to stop for a moment and evaluate your present course of life, in what direction would you say you were going? As the Psalmist considered that very question, he seemed to be somewhat uncertain of its answer, or at least somewhat dissatisfied.

This group of four verses seems to be the result of the Psalmist's self examination. In verse 4, he is not quite happy: O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes. As Christians, we all go through times when we think, "Why did I do that? If only I had been more obedient to God's commandements, I would not be in the mess I am in." Yet, no matter how desirous we are of living a life pleasing to the Lord, we continually seem to fall short.

Unfortunately, we will wrestle with our sin natures all of our lives. So, what do we do when we examine ourselves and are not happy with the results? The Psalmist determined, I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments. I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.

Like the Psalmist, we must first resolve to make a change in our lives. Then, understanding that we do not have the power to make that change ourselves, we must go to the Lord Jesus Christ, admitting our sin, and pleading for help to live our lives in a manner pleasing to Him. Like the Psalmist, we must learn what God's righteousness requires. How do we do that? We do that by studying God's Word.

By the grace of God, let us determine to increase our knowledge of God's Word through consistent prayer and Bible study. When you consider the lives of saints through the ages, it is rather amazing that most of us have ready access to a Bible. What we take for granted was forbidden at the cost of lives just a few centuries ago. Even as late as the 1500's, the common people did not have access to their own copy of the Scriptures.

Let us, by the grace of God, treasure His Word and make it a daily practice to spend time in prayer and Bible study. It is a sad commentary in our day that Satan does not have to forcibly take the Bible away from the common person, he just encourages apathy, until the common person no longer cares to read the Bible.

What direction are you going?

O forsake me not utterly!

God Bless You,
Linda


No comments: