Thursday, September 13, 2012

Deliverance


 7Return unto thy rest, O my soul; for the LORD hath dealt bountifully with thee.
 8For thou hast delivered my soul from death, mine eyes from tears, and my feet from falling.
 9I will walk before the LORD in the land of the living.
 10I believed, therefore have I spoken: I was greatly afflicted:
 11I said in my haste, All men are liars. 

(Psalm 116:7-11, King James Version)

Deliverance

We have all been there, have we not? Life has thrown us some bitter curves due to the words, actions, or insults from our fellow man. The Psalmist, in Psalm 116, appears to have come to the end of his frustration in verse 11: I said in my haste, All men are liars. Though his words have a taint of bitterness, they are sandwiched between words of glorious praise and adoration to the Lord.

What can we say? It is true, that all men are liars. Even Christians are not loosed from the bands of sin while still on this earth. Knowing the heart of all men, especially those apart from Christ, we should not be surprised by the barbs they may send our way. Rightly, the Psalmist turns to his true source of hope and deliverance: the Lord.

The Psalmist finds his consolation in the bounty of the Lord when he says, For thou hast delivered my soul from death, mine eyes from tears, and my feet from falling. I will walk before the LORD in the land of the living. In the Lord he finds complete rest and hope. Knowing that he finds himself included when he says, All men are liars, he understands that the only hope we have is found in Christ. Apart from Him, what would our life reveal?

In Christ our feet are kept from falling, our hearts receive consolation from our veil of tears, and ultimately, our soul is delivered from death. It is good for us to ponder such things, lest we are overcome by the shadows of evil that seem to surround us on all sides.

What a great way to start the day: praising and magnifying God's holy and righteous name. He is our strength and tower, our rock, and our only defense; in Him, alone, we are made complete! Though oppressed from all directions, we can still praise and bless the name of the Lord, for the days will come when we can lay down our weary loads and enter the joy and eternal presence of the Lord.

I am reminded of that beautiful hymn, written by Isaac Watts: O God our Help in Ages Past. It begins and ends with the following two verses:

O God, our help in ages past,
Our hope for years to come,
Our shelter from the stormy blast,
And our eternal home.

O God, our help in ages past,
Our hope for years to come,
Be Thou our guard while troubles last,
And our eternal home.

Go to Christ today, and find complete and lasting deliverance from the snares of this world!

God Bless You,
Linda

1 comment:

Zim said...

Very good reflection on Psalm 116. Yes, God is our rock and it is great! Greetings from Poland.