Thursday, September 06, 2012

Constant!

 1I love the LORD, because he hath heard my voice and my supplications.
 2Because he hath inclined his ear unto me, therefore will I call upon him as long as I live. 
(Psalm 116:1-2, King James Version)

Constant!

Today my husband and I are celebrating 28 years of marriage. It has been a good, even wonderful, journey. Through many ups and downs God has kept us, and I still wonder at God's faithfulness in giving us a love for each other that transcended even the greatest of difficulties. One thing that has impressed me is that life is all about changes, and adapting to them. There are very few constants in life.

The Psalmist, in Psalm 116, reminds us that there is one constant which will never change, and that is his love for the LORD. Why?
Because he hath inclined his ear unto me, therefore will I call upon him as long as I live.
The Psalmist understood that the Lord was always there listening for the voice of his needy children. And, not only did the Lord listen, but He inclined his ear to his child. What an amazing God we serve. He is not far removed from His children, but rather, always ready to listen to their cries--always ready to come to their aid.

This begs the question, how often do we go to the Lord? Is He only there for the emergencies of life? We used to joke, at one time, that our daughter only came to see us when she needed money. We knew that was not really true, yet we often treat God as though His only purpose is to bail us out of trouble. The rest of the time, He could just tend to the needs of others.

Is that sort of "need-based" relationship what God desires from His children? Paul admonishes us, in 1 Thessalonians 5, Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, King James Version)

The idea is that, as children of God, we should have a continuous conversation with the Lord. Everywhere we go, everything we say, and everything we do, we are doing with God right beside us. He is actively involved in every aspect of our lives.

May we, like the Psalmist proclaim, I love the LORD, because he hath heard my voice and my supplications. Because he hath inclined his ear unto me, therefore will I call upon him as long as I live.

God Bless You,
Linda






No comments: