Thursday, August 30, 2012

Tremble!

 7Tremble, thou earth, at the presence of the Lord, at the presence of the God of Jacob;
 8Which turned the rock into a standing water, the flint into a fountain of waters.
(Psalm 114:7-8, King James Version)

Tremble!

In reading verses 7 and 8 of Psalm 114, it seems as though we have lost that perspective of trembling before Almighty God. Perhaps that is due to the over emphasis of God being a only loving God, or perhaps it is due to the fact that God is just not important enough in our daily lives to even consider how we may or may not be pleasing Him.

The Psalmist, in these verses is reminding us of God's living and working among the Israelites in their wilderness wanderings. When no water was to be found, God caused a fountain of waters to spring forth from the rock that Moses struck.

What has happened in our culture? How have we become so far removed from God? Unless we are in troubling times, it seems that we would just prefer that God would leave us alone. We are perfectly content ordering our lives in whatever manner is pleasing to us. This is perfectly understandable in the lives of unbelievers, but unfortunately, it also describes the attitudes of most believers as well.

How are we to view God? How did the Psalmists view God? Here are just a few examples:


 1Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.
 2O my soul, thou hast said unto the LORD, Thou art my Lord: my goodness extendeth not to thee;
 3But to the saints that are in the earth, and to the excellent, in whom is all my delight. (Psalm 16:1-3, KJV)


 5Hold up my goings in thy paths, that my footsteps slip not.
 6I have called upon thee, for thou wilt hear me, O God: incline thine ear unto me, and hear my speech.
 7Shew thy marvellous lovingkindness, O thou that savest by thy right hand them which put their trust in thee from those that rise up against them. (Psalm 17:5-7, KJV)


 1I will love thee, O LORD, my strength.
 2The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.
 3I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies. (Psalm 18:1-3, KJV)

We do not need to read very many psalms to see the intricate relationship each had with God. They understood that God was intimately involved with every aspect of their lives. Nothing happened apart from His knowledge.

As Christians living in a very Godless society, it is time we shake off the apathy that shrouds us and seek God, understanding that He is involved in even the tiniest details of our lives. May we again tremble before God Almighty, giving Him the honor due to His holy name.

For it is God who has saved us, and it is God who will keep us until that day we step into His arms forever. Nothing in our lives is more important!

God Bless You,
Linda



No comments: