Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Awesome God

 7The works of his hands are verity and judgment; all his commandments are sure.
 8They stand fast for ever and ever, and are done in truth and uprightness.
 9He sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend is his name. 

Awesome God

Upon reading verses 7, 8, and 9, of Psalm 111, I am duly chastised. I woke up today with seemingly the weight of the world upon my shoulders. I write devotionals, but there are so many who can and do, do a better job. My husband and I seem to struggle with money; I thought that our finances would be in much better shape than they are in our later years. And, it seems as though all of my friends' children walk faithfully with the Lord, while some of mine do and some do not.

I just spent 30 minutes pondering my deficiencies while walking my dog, and then sat down at my computer to write tomorrow's devotional. As I read through these verses I must hang my head in shame. To Whom am I really complaining? Who am I charging for not doing a better job of providing for me and my family? 

Psalm 111:7, in the New King James version, says, The works of His hands are verity [true] and justice. All His precepts are sure. Has God made a mistake! Of course not! His works are perfect and true, they stand fast forever.

While I am complaining about my lot in life, which is bountiful compared to many in this world, I am reminded that I was a poor, lost sheep, running as far away from God as I could. Yet, He reached down, picked me up, and said, "This one is mine!" He has made a covenant with me, as one of His children, which will last forever. Holy and reverend is His name!

We live in a world which hates God and all for which He stands, but He, alone, is righteous, lovely, and filled with all truth. Join me today in praise and adoration for this awesome God we serve. There is nothing in us that would cause Him to desire us above another, and yet He reached down, picked us up, and said, "Live!" And--we now live!

As Jacob said at the end of his life,  “The days of the years of my pilgrimage are one hundred and thirty years; few and evil have been the days of the years of my life, and they have not attained to the days of the years of the life of my fathers in the days of their pilgrimage.”
(Genesis 47:9, New King James Version)

Psalm 119:54 (King James Version) adds:

Your statutes have been my songs
In the house of my pilgrimage.

Go, then this day in the praise and honor of this truly awesome God!

God Bless You,
Linda


No comments: