Saturday, July 21, 2012

A Wounded Heart

 21But do thou for me, O GOD the Lord, for thy name's sake: because thy mercy is good, deliver thou me.
 22For I am poor and needy, and my heart is wounded within me.
 23I am gone like the shadow when it declineth: I am tossed up and down as the locust.
 24My knees are weak through fasting; and my flesh faileth of fatness.
 25I became also a reproach unto them: when they looked upon me they shaked their heads. 

A Wounded Heart

The focus changes as David pour out his heart to the Lord in these verses from Psalm 109. You can hear the weariness in his words:
For I am poor and needy, and my heart is wounded within me. I am gone like the shadow when it declineth: I am tossed up and down as the locust. My knees are weak through fasting; and my flesh faileth of fatness.
It seems as one gets older, days such as this, experienced by King David, become more and more frequent. Gone is the eagerness of youth when all of life seems to stretch before you. Grief, sadness, and disappointments in life cause us to turn our hearts to the Lord. For in Him, alone, we find joy, peace, and comfort.

That is exactly what David had discovered when he acclaimed, because thy mercy is good, deliver thou me. In the Lord do we not only find mercy, but we find help.

Perhaps one of the reasons God allows times of great oppression, and even depression to come upon us is so that we will find the sweet peace and comfort that comes only from the Lord. I am beginning to think that that may be the root cause of almost all of our difficulties.

If we are wounded by the words of a friend, turn to Christ. If our spouse seems to treat us unkindly or take us for granted, turn to Christ. If we are the laughingstock of the crowd, turn to Christ. If our children weary us with their constant contentious ways, turn to Christ.

Could it be so simple? Yes! The greatest blessing of being a believer while still on this earth is that sweet communion with our dear Lord. His love surpasses any earthly love we could know. He is always with us; He never fails us. Though He may seem far away at times, in reality, He is always right beside us.

As our days increase on this earth, so should our love for the Lord increase as well. Take some time today, and every day, to just commune with the Lord. In our busy lives we tend to neglect our quiet time of reading the Bible, reflecting upon its message, and pouring out our hearts in praise and prayer. Yet, if we neglect our Lord Jesus Christ, He will neglect us as well.

Have you experienced a wounded heart? Go to Christ. He, alone, is the healer of the broken heart! Joseph Scriven expressed it well in the familiar hymn he wrote, "What a Friend We Have in Jesus."
What a friend we have in Jesus,

All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry,
Everything to God in prayer.
O what peace we often forfeit,
O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer.

Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged;
Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful
Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness;
Take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden,
Cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge;
Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?
Take it to the Lord in prayer.
In His arms He'll take and shield thee;

Thou wilt find a solace there.

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: