Friday, May 11, 2012

Mercy and Judgment

 1I will sing of mercy and judgment: unto thee, O LORD, will I sing.
 2I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart. 

Mercy and Judgment

Psalm 101 gives us a rare privilege to see into the very heart of David, who had not yet been made king, but had been ordained as the next king of Israel by Samuel. It was certainly a difficult time for David--being thrust about from one kingdom to another when pursued by King Saul. Yet even in times such as these we see David returning to God, his first love.

Having time to contemplate the years to come, David sings to the Lord of mercy and judgment. A rare king it is who learns the proper balance between mercy and judgment. When is the proper time to show mercy to one's subjects, and when is the proper time to show firm judgment? As he considers such things David turns his heart to the Lord, for it is by the help of God that he would rule wisely.

Certainly David must have thought of the kingdom of Saul, his predecessor. As he saw the grave errors of Saul who turned away from the Lord, David expressed his intent to behave himself wisely, perfectly obeying the commandments of God. 

It was hard to be patient as he awaited God's timing. We sense that impatience in his questioning the Lord, "O when wilt thou come unto me?" However, he resolves to walk within his house with a perfect heart.

It is this very quality that God sees in David and desires in all of His children.
22 And when He had removed him, He raised up for them David as king, to whom also He gave testimony and said, ‘I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after My own heart, who will do all My will.’ (Acts 13:22, New King James Version)
We cannot help but read a psalm such as this and think, "Where is my heart? How does God view me? Is my heart devoted to the Lord or is it caught up in the desires and pleasures of this world? Am I devoted to God or am I devoted to myself?"

In the end it is not our actions, but our hearts that God sees. We can impress the world by our actions, but we can only impress the Lord with a heart that is devoted to Him. Let us aspire to return to our first love, the Lord God Almighty, and though we may not rule a kingdom, let us aspire to show mercy and judgment toward those who are under our care.

God Bless You,
Linda


No comments: