Thursday, April 12, 2012

Upon Christ

 14Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
 15He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.
 16With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation. 

Upon Christ

Psalm 91 ends in much the same way it began. After proclaiming throughout the psalm the treasured benefits we have in God, the psalmist ends with God's promise of His constant care and affection. Even as we have set our love upon Christ, so has He set His love upon us.

Truthfully, we cannot out-love God! Actually, no matter how great our love for Him, His love and help will pour down upon us in an even greater display of His care over us. There is an unspoken word of caution in these verses. Why does God promise such great things to His children?
Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
How do we set our love upon Christ? What does it mean when it says, "because he hath known my name?" This verse goes beyond believing that there is a God who rules over the heavens and the earth. To know Christ is not just to give an assent to His divinity. To set our love upon Christ, and to know His name, means that, forsaking any other possible help, we have cast our very beings upon Him. He alone, is all our help, all our faith, and all our righteousness.

Sadly, I am afraid there are a great many people who believe they are Christians, but do not understand what it means to know Christ. With their feet firmly attached to the things of this world, they throw to Christ some nuances of affection. Christ is not satisfied with the little bursts of affection we may toss His way, Christ demands our all, and rightly so.

What was the mistake the people of God made in the times of the kings of Israel and Judah, especially after the nation split? The people believed in God, and still proclaimed Him as their God. However, He had lost the distinction of being their only God. Seasoned within their religious zeal were elements of the gods of the nations surrounding Israel. God was the supreme God, but He was aided with the lesser gods of the surrounding nations.

God spewed them out of His mouth, and caused them to be put under the yokes of the Syrians, and later the Assyrians. God will not be shared--to share Him is to not know Him at all!

When one looks at the great apathy in the church which exists in this, the 21st century, one has to ask the question, "What is wrong with the church today?" Like the Israelites, too many professing Christians have their feet set in two camps. They worship God along side of all of the gods of this age. Their hearts and lives are filled with a love for the things of this world which far surpass any love they think they have for God.

However, God will not be shared. He is not content to be first in our hearts--He wants to be the only love of our hearts and souls. He desires that all of our hearts, our souls, and our minds be centered upon Him.

Then, to those who have truly set their love and affection upon Christ, He promises.
He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him. With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.
Let us then, by the grace of God, return to our First Love, the Lord Jesus Christ. Let us lift up our hearts and our voices in praise to Him, who alone is God of all Gods, King of all Kings, and Lord of all Lords.

God Bless You,
Linda





No comments: