Sunday, March 18, 2012

Thy Way

 11Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.
 12I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify thy name for evermore.
 13For great is thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell. 

Thy Way

The first six words of Psalm 86, verse 11, are of necessity, the motto for every true child of God.
Teach me thy way, O LORD.
We must remember that though we have been blessed with many faithful ministers of God who preach the Bible consistently and faithfully, it is our own personal responsibility as Christians to learn and grow in the Lord. The Bible is our school book which we must faithfully read and study, so that we may be able to correctly discern God's way.

We may at first object that we are not schooled in the Hebrew and Greek, so how can we possibly understand God's Word? Yes, it would be better if we understood the original languages, however, through the providence of God, there are many good translations written in our own native languages, that we may read and study in the comfort of our own homes.

In addition, as born again children of God, we have the Holy Spirit dwelling within our hearts who instructs us and teaches us, so that our reading and studying may be profitable, and our hearts instructed by the truths contained in its pages. In addition, many great works have been written in the forms of sermons and commentaries to help our own lack of schooling. As a matter of fact, there remains to this day, works of many of the early church fathers from hundreds of years ago, that have been translated into other languages. It is amazing how relevant these works are to us in the 21st century, for God's Word is timeless in its application to our lives.

We, as children of God, must say with the psalmist,
I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.
Oh that we would turn off our televisions and put away our fanciful games that quickly distract us from the Word of God, and spend our free time immersed in the study of God's Word. What we at first think would be the most boring of all forms of entertainment, will become our lifeblood, and we will find ourselves longing for more time to spend in reading and in prayer

As we become more and more acquainted with our dear Lord and Savior, our hearts will burn with joy when we read verses such as Psalm 86:12 and 13.
I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify thy name for evermore. For great is thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell.
For the time being, we are trapped in a world that hates God, but we must patiently wait for that time when we will be released from the bands of this earth that hold us fast. While here, let us fill our hearts and minds with the knowledge of the Lord, and pray that God will use us to faithfully proclaim His Word to those who have not come to Him.

Let this be our new motto:  Thy way; not my way!

God Bless You,
Linda




No comments: