Saturday, March 31, 2012

Sign of David

 24But my faithfulness and my mercy shall be with him: and in my name shall his horn be exalted.
 25I will set his hand also in the sea, and his right hand in the rivers.
 26He shall cry unto me, Thou art my father, my God, and the rock of my salvation.
 27Also I will make him my firstborn, higher than the kings of the earth.
 28My mercy will I keep for him for evermore, and my covenant shall stand fast with him.
 29His seed also will I make to endure for ever, and his throne as the days of heaven. 

Sign of David

As Psalm 89 continues, it follows a rather interesting direction, expanding on the sign of David which was first introduced in verse 20.
I have found David my servant; with my holy oil have I anointed him.
You may wonder what the sign of David has to do with Christians in this 21st century world. After all, David was the King of Israel over 2000 years ago. Psalm 89 follows a pattern not at all unusual in the Psalms. As we follow the flow of words we understand that the psalmist is speaking of David, but when we read such things as,
Also I will make him my firstborn, higher than the kings of the earth,
we begin to realize that God is now speaking of Christ, who, humanly speaking was of the seed of David, and as God's firstborn, is higher than the kings of earth. Suddenly, we begin to see the relevance of Psalm 89 to Christians in the 21st century.

God made a covenant with David which still applies to all Christians today. As part of the seed of David and the seed of Christ, verse 29 explains that God's covenant will continue with the seed of David forever!
My mercy will I keep for him for evermore, and my covenant shall stand fast with him. His seed also will I make to endure for ever, and his throne as the days of heaven.
How long is forever? How long will heaven exist? As we begin to understand the ramifications of this passage, we begin to see why Christians are so unmoved by daily circumstances which would overwhelm the average person. God is on the throne of heaven with Christ seated right beside Him, making intercession for all of His children. Rather than charge God foolishly when He does not respond as we think He should, we understand that His ways are greater than our ways. Not one hair falls from our heads without the knowledge of God.

This world is just our "elementary or secondary school" so to speak. We are continually being tested and learning how to become more and more like Christ. The day will come, however, when we will graduate from the duties and toils of this life and enter the courts of heaven forever.

So, what does the sign of David have to do with Christians today? Everything! All of the promises God made to David and his seed are being fulfilled in us, His children, today.
Oh what a wonder that Jesus found me.
Out in the darkness, no light could I see.
Oh what a wonder--He put His great arms under,
And wonder of wonders, He saved even me!
God Bless You,
Linda


No comments: