Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I Am Holy

 1Bow down thine ear, O LORD, hear me: for I am poor and needy.
 2Preserve my soul; for I am holy: O thou my God, save thy servant that trusteth in thee. 

 I Am Holy

In this beautiful prayer, David makes a rather interesting statement. He said, "I am holy." What does that mean? What made him holy? Are all Christians holy?

Here is a simple definition of "holy" from the Merriam Webster dictionary:
  1. Dedicated or consecrated to God or a religious purpose; sacred: "the Holy Bible"; "the holy month of Ramadan".
  2. (of a person) Devoted to the service of God: "saints and holy men".
According to this definition, David was consecrated to God, or to the service of God.

What made David holy? Was David holy because he was the king? No! If that were true, then all kings would be holy, but we certainly would not want to make that statement. Somehow, I cannot think of Nero, who was one of the most evil of all the Roman emperors, as being holy.

Romans 11, verse 16, tells us:
 16For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches. (Romans 11:16, King James Version)
Then we read in 1 Peter, chapter 1:
 15But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
 16Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy. (1 Peter 1:15-16, King James Version)
God, who has called us is holy. He is the root spoken of in Romans 11. The branches are all of the children of God. In other words, all Christians are holy. David was holy because he was a believer.

What a sobering thought! According to the definition of "holy," then, all Christians are consecrated to God; devoted to His service. Do we live as though we are consecrated to God? How seriously do we take our relationship to Christ? 

If we, as Christians, are set apart and devoted to God's service, why do we spend so many hours, days, week, months, and even years chasing after the things of this world? God has given to us all that we need for peace, joy, contentment, and happiness. We will never find these things in the world, but they are all found in Christ.

As we go about the duties of this day, let us think about the words of David, "I am holy." How will that make me a different person today?

God Bless You,
Linda





No comments: