Sunday, February 19, 2012

You Raise Me Up

 8O remember not against us former iniquities: let thy tender mercies speedily prevent us: for we are brought very low.
 9Help us, O God of our salvation, for the glory of thy name: and deliver us, and purge away our sins, for thy name's sake.
 10Wherefore should the heathen say, Where is their God? let him be known among the heathen in our sight by the revenging of the blood of thy servants which is shed. 

You Raise Me Up

I am often amazed at how contemporary God's Word is. Who of us has not had a time when were brought very low?

That was how Asaph found himself when he wrote Psalm 79. Asaph had seen the glory days of Israel during the times of David and Solomon. How he longed for them to return. What happened to Israel?

When Rehoboam, King Solomon's son became king, the congregation of Israel came to him and spoke these words:
Thy father made our yoke grievous: now therefore make thou the grievous service of thy father, and his heavy yoke which he put upon us, lighter, and we will serve thee. (I Kings 12:4, KJV)
Here was Rehoboam's opportunity to establish himself as a wise, Godly king, but it was not to be. Taking the advice of his young peers, we find his response:
And spake to them after the counsel of the young men, saying, My father made your yoke heavy, and I will add to your yoke: my father also chastised you with whips, but I will chastise you with scorpions. (1 Kings 12:14)
The Bible tells us that this thing was from the Lord. Ten tribes, under the leadership of Jereboam, rebelled against the king that day, and formed the nation of Israel. The remaining tribes, under Rehoboam, were known as Judah.

Asaph, being a priest under the leadership of King Rehoboam, suffered the results of the king's foolish words. No wonder he penned such words of longing, asking God help return his people to their former days of glory.

What do we do when we are brought low? How do we respond to God? Do we blame God for our desperate circumstances, or do we call out to Him to help, realizing that He allows our trials to come so that we might grow in our faith and understanding of Him. 

Asaph had learned a very important lesson. If help was to come, it would come at God's hand. No matter what His circumstances, He would give God the glory. The words to the song, "You Raise Me Up," by Josh Groban could well have been written by Asaph.

When I am down and, oh my soul, so weary
When troubles come and my heart burdened be
Then I am still and wait here in the silence
Until you come and sit awhile with me

You raise me up so I can stand on mountains
You raise me up to walk on stormy seas
I am strong when I am on your shoulders
You raise me up to more than I can be
 (Josh Groban lyrics)

Let us go then today and stand on God's shoulders, for it is God alone to whom we can say, "I am strong when I am on your shoulders. You raise me up to more than I can be."

God Bless You,
Linda




No comments: