Thursday, February 02, 2012

Wonders of Old!

 4Thou holdest mine eyes waking: I am so troubled that I cannot speak.
 5I have considered the days of old, the years of ancient times.
 6I call to remembrance my song in the night: I commune with mine own heart: and my spirit made diligent search.
 7Will the Lord cast off for ever? and will he be favourable no more?
 8Is his mercy clean gone for ever? doth his promise fail for evermore?
 9Hath God forgotten to be gracious? hath he in anger shut up his tender mercies? Selah.
 10And I said, This is my infirmity: but I will remember the years of the right hand of the most High.
 11I will remember the works of the LORD: surely I will remember thy wonders of old. 

Wonders of Old!

I hope you, like me, have become endeared to Asaph, the writer of many of the psalms, such as Psalm 77. It is hard to believe that he wrote these psalms over 2000 years ago, as they seem so relevant to the 21st century.

Asaph, upon considering the circumstances of his life was deeply troubled. Just as we often are prone to ask, he wondered where God was in all of this. His troubles were so great he was having difficulty sleeping. (Does that sound familiar?) Even though we know that, as Christians, we have no need to worry, we find ourselves often worrying over our difficulties in the wee hours of the morning.

So, what did Asaph do?
I will remember the works of the LORD: surely I will remember thy wonders of old.
Look at the thought process that Asaph followed. He began by remembering the ancient times of Israel. When communing with his own heart in the night, his spirit searched diligently, asking these questions.
 7 Will the Lord cast off forever?
         And will He be favorable no more?
 8 Has His mercy ceased forever?
         Has His promise failed forevermore?
 9 Has God forgotten to be gracious?
         Has He in anger shut up His tender mercies?  Selah 
          (Psalm 77:7-9, New King James Version)

When we forget God and doubt His Word, we are in a sense asking these same questions. By the grace of God, let us hope that we come up with the same answer. Asaph realized that his doubt and worry was his own sickness. He only needed to look at the years of his own life to realize how foolish he had been. Even in his few short years, he was familiar with God's wonders of old.

What an amazing God we serve. Just as He has been ever faithful to His children from the beginning of time, so will He be faithful to us all of the days of our lives. His wonders of old remind us that the mercies of our God are new every morning. Great is His faithfulness!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: