Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Resisting God!

 11But my people would not hearken to my voice; and Israel would none of me.
 12So I gave them up unto their own hearts' lust: and they walked in their own counsels.
 13Oh that my people had hearkened unto me, and Israel had walked in my ways!
 14I should soon have subdued their enemies, and turned my hand against their adversaries.
 15The haters of the LORD should have submitted themselves unto him: but their time should have endured for ever.
 16He should have fed them also with the finest of the wheat: and with honey out of the rock should I have satisfied thee. 

Resisting God!

The important thing to note in these verses from Psalm 81 is that God is speaking to His own people. It is one thing for the ungodly to be found resisting God, but God is addressing His own people. Unfortunately, all to often we find ourselves in the same situation.

In Romans 7, Paul said,  15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. (Romans 7:15, New King James Version) Why is it so difficult, even impossible, for us to be obedient to God? Why do we, like Paul, find ourselves doing the very things we are trying not to do, and not doing the things we should? It is easy for us to be critical of the nation of Israel, but, in truth, we are just like them!

What, then, are we to do? Are we in a hopeless situation always finding ourselves resisting God? God said that if Israel had been obedient, they would have remained a nation forever, and would have been fed with the finest of the wheat and with honey out of the rock. Are we facing trials and difficulties that we would not otherwise face if we were more obedient to God? What can we do?

In Romans 7 Paul responded to this question.
24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin. (Romans 7:24-25, New King James Version)
Just as there was hope for the children of Israel, so is there hope for the believer today. Though we will always wrestle with our own sin while still on this earth, we have hope through Jesus Christ our Lord. Not only do we rest in Him, alone, for our salvation, but we also rest in Him to keep us from being overpowered by our own sins.

When we find ourselves wrestling with our own sins, it is time to fall down before God, confess our sins and ask for help to live our lives in a manner pleasing to Him. This help is made available to each and every Christian through the blood of Christ which not only saves us, but keeps us alive in Him. 

What an amazing God we serve. He does not just save us and let us fend for ourselves, but, rather, He saves us and then gives us the ability to love and serve Him faithfully. When we find ourselves resisting God, it is time for us to fall before Him and seek forgiveness, as well as help to say, "Thy will be done, O Lord, my Rock and our Redeemer!"

God Bless You,
Linda





No comments: