Wednesday, January 18, 2012

My Portion



 25Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.
 26My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever. 

 My Portion

Asaph, the writer of Psalm 73, takes a minute to ponder his relationship with God, and realizes that God is everything! It is right and proper for us, as Christians, to ask the same question as did Asaph.
Whom have I in heaven but thee?
In the day in which we live, much ado is made about love. Millions of songs, novels, and movies have been written about the power of love which seems to conquer all. What or who do we love? What or who is worth more to us than even life itself? As humans, we know nothing about true love!

However, we do have the perfect example of a love which knows no bounds. God, our Creator, who could have left us to our own sin and punishment, made a way of escape for us so that we do not have to suffer the consequences of our sin. We deserve to die! The Bible tells us in Romans, 

 6For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. (Romans 5:6, King James Version)

Now that is a love we cannot comprehend. Christ did not die for the righteous, because no man is righteous in and of himself. By the grace of God, the righteousness of Christ is imputed to us, so that in the eyes of God, He does not see our sin and wickedness, but sees, rather, the righteousness of Christ.

How can that be? I do not understand, but I know it is true. That is exactly what Asaph was pondering when he wrote Psalm 73. He saw his own sin and misery, but he understood that even though his own flesh and heart would fail, God was the strength of his heart.

There is no greater love that exists, and this love is available to all who see their sin and misery, and cry out to Christ to save them. That is my prayer to all of my readers this day. The answer to all of life's problems does not lie in our own abilities; the answer to all of life's problems lies in Christ alone. And, as Asaph proclaimed in Psalm 73, He is my portion for ever!

Go to Christ; He will save you now!

God Bless You,
Linda


No comments: