Monday, December 19, 2011

Hopeless!

 1Save me, O God; for the waters are come in unto my soul.
 2I sink in deep mire, where there is no standing: I am come into deep waters, where the floods overflow me.
 3I am weary of my crying: my throat is dried: mine eyes fail while I wait for my God.
 4They that hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of mine head: they that would destroy me, being mine enemies wrongfully, are mighty: then I restored that which I took not away. 

Hopeless!

David, the King and the sweet psalmist of Israel, was a man of many passions. Though king for 40 years, his life was plunged into times of great danger and despair. While we, in our own personal lives, cannot appreciate the challenges he faced as a king, we have most likely had times of great discouragement, even to the point of being overwhelmed by the floods of diversity.

Most people, even at a relatively young age, understand the feeling of life becoming completely hopeless. It is one thing to be in such a situation because of our own bad decisions, but what if we are facing untold troubles through no fault of our own?

That is exactly where we find David in Psalm 69. His enemies hate him without a cause and seek his very life. Though he has restored to them things he did not even take in the first place, they are not assuaged from their anger. His discouragement is such that he feels the floods of adversity coming in to the very depths of his soul.

God has given to us a precious treasure in the psalms of David. At best, this life is filled with difficulties, but in times of great despair it is easy to become completely overwhelmed. At times like this, we are greatly encouraged by reading the Psalms. In the depths of passion presented in them we learn that we are not alone in our grief. Others have suffered as well and have found great peace and joy by resting in God.

Our God is not like the gods of this age. He is not untouched by our grief, He is not selfish or vain, and does not require our unreasonable devotion. In His great love for His children, He has sent His only Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, who not only saved us, but walks beside us through all of the difficulties of this life. He is never too busy to help, neither are we too unimportant for Him to notice.

Yes, we all will face times when life seems to be completely hopeless, but when we come into the presence of God, we remember that God is our help. He will never leave nor forsake us; what an amazing God we serve!

It is easy to feel left out and lonely, especially in a holiday season such as we are in now. Go to Christ; His love will never fail. He will never abandon His own!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: