Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Deliver Me!

 13But as for me, my prayer is unto thee, O LORD, in an acceptable time: O God, in the multitude of thy mercy hear me, in the truth of thy salvation.
 14Deliver me out of the mire, and let me not sink: let me be delivered from them that hate me, and out of the deep waters.
 15Let not the waterflood overflow me, neither let the deep swallow me up, and let not the pit shut her mouth upon me.
 16Hear me, O LORD; for thy lovingkindness is good: turn unto me according to the multitude of thy tender mercies.
 17And hide not thy face from thy servant; for I am in trouble: hear me speedily.
 18Draw nigh unto my soul, and redeem it: deliver me because of mine enemies. 

Deliver Me!

In reading today's Bible passage from Psalm 69, I noted that when David plead with God, "Deliver Me," he never said, "Deliver me because I deserve it." Rather, contained within these verses is the understanding that first, God had the power to deliver him, and second, that power was not based upon the worthiness of David.

David understood God; frequently he had tested the waters and found his deliverance in God. Many times he found himself surrounded by enemies, yet God always saw fit, in an acceptable time, to deliver him out of his difficulties. Historically, he understood that this same God had been faithfully delivering His people for years. From little on, David would have been familiar with the stories of God's delivering the people from the hands of the Egyptians and safely bringing them into the Promised Land.

He also understood that the timing of God's deliverance was also in God's hands. What a difficult lesson for us to learn! In our impatience, we want deliverance right now, and probably have also decided just exactly what it is that God should do! In time we begin to understand that God's ways are not our ways, and often His deliverance comes from the opposite direction. In fact, we may be the one who needs to change directions!

David knew, too, that God did not owe him. In other words, God would not deliver him because he deserved God's favor.
O God, in the multitude of thy mercy hear me, in the truth of thy salvation. . . turn unto me according to the multitude of thy tender mercies.
We, too, have every right to go to God and plead deliverance, not because we are worthy, but because God is merciful. He first demonstrated that mercy to us through the salvation offered to us through the death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ. None of us deserves salvation! 

As Christians, we do not deserve God's continued mercy to us, but God's mercy will be available to us all of our days on this earth, and of course, into eternity beyond this life. Why is it, that though we know this to be true, we tend to think of prayer last? After we have exhausted all possible means of help, we turn to the Lord and cry, "Deliver me!"

Go today in the confidence of the Lord; He is a merciful God, and He will deliver you!

God Bless You,
Linda




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this blog it is s great way to start my day....
Merry Christmas