Monday, November 14, 2011

History with God

 6When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.
 7Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice.
 8My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me. 

History with God
David had a history with God; when he had one of those nights that he just could not sleep, he would meditate upon God, remembering God's faithfulness to him. Most of us can identify with David, can we not? How many nights do we either have trouble falling asleep, or when waking in the middle of the night have trouble going back to sleep?

We snuggle into our cozy covers and then begin to think about the troubles of life. Have you ever noticed that we automatically bring to mind the things that are bothering us instead of thinking of the blessings that God has given to us? I am sure there are many things David could have pondered in the middle of the night, and probably did, but he soon learned the benefit of taking that precious time and using it to meditate upon the Lord.

If you are like me, it is not always so easy. However, I have found that if I can convince myself to leave my warm, cozy bed and spend some time reading my Bible, and then spend some time in meditation and prayer, sleep returns much more easily. And, if I never do go back to sleep, I certainly can face the coming day with a much more positive attitude.

As Christians, we have a tendency to take such things for granted. We have such a rich heritage in the Lord. Those who do not know the Lord have no true source of comfort and strength. They have no eternal abiding place on which to rest all of their hopes and dreams. Life to them is a continual shifting of sands, with no place to rest their weary soul.

By the grace of God may we be busy building our own, personal, history with God. As we read and meditate upon the Word of God, we should sift through our memories and meditate upon God's working and moving in our own lives. We remember both the answers to prayer we were seeking as well as those times that God did not answer in the way we had hoped. However, as time as has passed, we can see how much better God's answers have been.
What an amazing God we serve! He desires to spend time with each and every one of His children. He is never too busy or too tired to fellowship with us, encouraging us and filling our very hearts and souls with peace and joy.

Go today and work on your own history with God!

God Bless You,
Linda



No comments: