Friday, October 14, 2011

His Mercy and Truth

 1Be merciful unto me, O God, be merciful unto me: for my soul trusteth in thee: yea, in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge, until these calamities be overpast.
 2I will cry unto God most high; unto God that performeth all things for me.
 3He shall send from heaven, and save me from the reproach of him that would swallow me up. Selah. God shall send forth his mercy and his truth. 

His Mercy and Truth

Psalm 57 begins on a glorious note when David cries out for mercy from God.
Be Merciful unto me, O God, be merciful unto me: for my soul trusteth in thee: yea, in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge, until these calamities be overpast.
Where, but the Lord, can we find such mercy today? Over 2000 years later, we still find His mercy and truth as we rest in the shadow of His wings. Just as David had complete confidence in God, we, too, can immerse ourselves in His mercy and truth.

What does that mean? How do we apply these verses to the daily hum drum of life? When we look out our windows, how can we see evidence of God's mercy and truth?

I am reminded of the time the Israelites, tired of waiting for Moses who was on Mt. Sinai speaking with God, pleaded with Aaron to make a god for them to worship (Exodus 32). Only forty days earlier they stood before God, committing themselves to His commandments, saying, "All that you command us, we will do." Yet, here they are, forty days later, worshiping a golden calf! (What was the first commandment? "Thou shalt have no other gods before me!" Exodus 20:3, KJV)

Do we do such things? Do we presume upon God's mercy and truth, and yet quickly abandon His Word when difficult times come upon us? David had a tumultuous life, and though he sinned grievously, he never rejected God. Psalm 56:3 is so typical of David's heart.
He shall send from heaven, and save me from the reproach of him that would swallow me up. Selah. God shall send forth his mercy and his truth.
As Christians, do we expect God to give us a life of wealth and ease? Are we faithful to Him only when everything is going our way? What happens to our Christian life when everything seems to go wrong, and when God seems to turn His back upon us? Do we, like the Israelites, quickly turn elsewhere for help and comfort, even to the point of worshiping other gods, or are we like David, quietly trusting in his mercy and truth?

These are good questions for us to ponder. By God's grace, I pray that we remember Christ, our first love, and find shelter in the shadow of His wings when troublesome times come upon us. He, alone, is truly worthy of our love, honor, and praise!

God Bless You,
Linda




No comments: