Monday, October 10, 2011

Afraid!

 1Be merciful unto me, O God: for man would swallow me up; he fighting daily oppresseth me.
 2Mine enemies would daily swallow me up: for they be many that fight against me, O thou most High.
 3What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.
 4In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.

Afraid!

Weary! The Psalmist was weary of life, to the point it seems as though his enemies would swallow him up. His pity party did not last long, however, when he acknowledged the Most High God.
What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee. In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.
Can we say the same thing today? When life surrounds us with weariness, when we are simply overcome by the sin and miseries of this life, or when our enemies seem to overwhelm us with their taunts and threats, do we remember our Most High God?

Why is it so difficult for us to walk in the light and joy of Christ? Why does it seem that the difficulties of this life rob us of the sweetness and joy of the Christian life? To some extent, it is our choice! Oh, we may not have a choice as far as what troubles come our way, but we certainly have a choice as to how we respond to those troubles.

It is true that we are not stones; it is impossible to not react when the hard times comes. As a matter of fact, it would be most unnatural to continue going about life as though nothing is different. Even Christ wept. However, Christ did not weep for days on end. 

I think that is the key; as Christians we do not grieve as those who have no hope. Our grief and despair is tempered by our love for the Lord Jesus Christ. As we bathe ourselves in the promises of the Word, we understand that we are not left alone during the times of difficulty. We have an advocate, the Lord Jesus Christ, who suffered more than we ever could, even if we did not have one good day on this earth!

Christ, our Advocate, sits at the right hand of God interceding for us! Because God is omnipresent (He exists everywhere at the same time), we are never left alone. Christ is our way, our truth, and our life. He guides us in the way we should go, offers comfort when we feel we can not go on, and brings us safely into His kingdom where we will be with Him forever!

As Christians, these promises of God will continue to be more and more dear to us. Living in a time when it is not "politically correct" to be a Christian, it is most likely that world wide persecution will increase. However, we are not to be afraid; Psalms such as Psalm 56 will be a great comfort to us.

Let us pray for the grace and strength to stand firm in the Lord Jesus Christ even during the days of trouble!

God Bless You,
Linda




No comments: