Friday, September 16, 2011

A Worthy Offering

 7Hear, O my people, and I will speak; O Israel, and I will testify against thee: I am God, even thy God.
 8I will not reprove thee for thy sacrifices or thy burnt offerings, to have been continually before me.
 9I will take no bullock out of thy house, nor he goats out of thy folds.
 10For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills.
 11I know all the fowls of the mountains: and the wild beasts of the field are mine.
 12If I were hungry, I would not tell thee: for the world is mine, and the fulness thereof.
 13Will I eat the flesh of bulls, or drink the blood of goats?
 14Offer unto God thanksgiving; and pay thy vows unto the most High:
 15And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me. 
(Psalm 50:7-15, King James Version)

A Worthy Offering

What did God need? Was God hungry that he required the Old Testament saints to make sacrifices to Him? That is exactly the question the Psalmist addresses in Psalm 50. He quickly states that God did not need the sacrifices; after all, all of the beasts of the forest were His for the entire world was His.

The Old Testament sacrifices were intended to show how abhorrent our sins are to God, and to point the way to Christ's perfect sacrifice that would put away forever, the need to offer up the blood of goats and bulls.

What then, does God require of us? What does God consider to be a worthy offering to Him? God requires that our hearts be given wholly to Him; He asks us to offer our thanksgiving, desiring that we return to Him, our First Love! Indeed, there is nothing we can do to deserve such a great salvation; Christ has already offered Himself up for us.

Do we in actuality spurn Christ's sacrifice? Do we serve God with our lips, and yet not with our hearts? This is exactly the complaint that God had against Israel, which eventually led to their downfall as first Judah, and then Israel, were taken into captivity.

These words spoken by Ezekiel are reminders to us that we may also be guilty of the same thing.
So they come to you as people do, they sit before you as My people, and they hear your words, but they do not do them; for with their mouth they show much love, but their hearts pursue their own gain. 
Indeed you are to them as a very lovely song of one who has a pleasant voice and can play well on an instrument; for they hear your words, but they do not do them. (Ezekiel 33:31-32, NKJV)
Is God just a lovely song to us? Is Christ just a pleasant melody, or is He our complete Source of life and strength? What is a worthy offering? The only worthy offering God will accept is all of our heart!
Not just a part, or half of my heart,
I will give all to Thee.

God Bless You,
Linda




No comments: