Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Whiter than Snow

 7Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
 8Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.
 9Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. 
(Psalm 51:7-9, King James Version)

Whiter than Snow

In a world filled with untold filth, is it really possible to be clean? Millions of dollars are spent each year on cleaning products; just trying to keep a small home clean is an almost impossible job. Even more important, however, is the question of spiritual cleanness.

One can feel pretty confident about oneself when looking around at others. In this "I'm OK; you're OK" world, the bar is set pretty low. The problem arises, however, when we look at God; God requires perfection! No man can stand before a righteous and holy God and feel clean. It was right, therefore, for the Psalmist to go to God and say, "Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow."

Does sin carry a price tag? Our world is so corrupted by sin that we cannot imagine what this world would be like if sin had never entered it. Neither can we imagine what our bodies would be like, both physically and spiritually, if they were not corrupted by sin. In his heart of hearts, the Psalmist understood that there is no spiritual cleanness possible apart from God.

We will never be able to experience true physical cleanness for our bodies on this side of heaven, but by the grace of God, we can experience spiritual cleanness. Just as hyssop was used in ceremonial cleansing rites, the blood of Christ is the fulfillment of that hyssop. In other words, what the hyssop could not actually do, Christ's blood does! Complete spiritual cleansing comes from Christ, and Christ alone!

Does that mean that we can really experience perfection, or sinlessness in this life? No! Unfortunately, sin will plague our hearts and lives until we reach our last breath on this earth. However, the blood of Christ covers our sin, so that God's sees Christ's perfection when He looks upon us.

How can this be? It is certainly beyond our comprehension, is it not? God loves us in a way that we cannot possibly understand; He loves us so much that He sent His only Son to purchase a salvation for us that is full and free!

We must go to Christ today, for He alone can save us from the sin that would condemn us for all eternity.

Whiter than snow, yes, whiter than snow
Now wash me and I shall be whiter than snow.

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: