Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Truth Hurts!

 11Withhold not thou thy tender mercies from me, O LORD: let thy lovingkindness and thy truth continually preserve me.
 12For innumerable evils have compassed me about: mine iniquities have taken hold upon me, so that I am not able to look up; they are more than the hairs of mine head: therefore my heart faileth me. 

Truth Hurts!
When I was a young girl, my oldest brother used to exasperate me to no end when he would say to me, "Truth hurts!" Of course, I was usually trying to hide something I had done wrong. In Psalm 40, the psalmist is telling us that God's truth preserves.

As David ponders his own life, he tells us that unnumbered evils surrounded him, to the extent that he could not even look up, causing his heart to fail. Who among us can come to any different conclusion when pondering his own life, especially when considering that life from God's perspective? 

When comparing our sinful lives to a wise and holy God, who sees and understands all things, we have no hope left within us. We stand eternally condemned before we even draw our first breath of life. Indeed, truth hurts! 

Yet, God did not leave us in this pitiful position, did He? God, through His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, provided a way of escape, a preserving truth, in which we can stand before this same holy God in perfect righteousness. No, it is not our righteousness, is it? It is the righteousness of the Lord imputed to us.

As Christians, it is easy to take these truths for granted; it is easy to live day after day consumed by the cares of this world with no thought of our standing before God. Thankfully, God has provided us with the Psalms, largely written by David, who beautifully expressed a binding relationship with God who carried him through the troublesome difficulties of his life.

This same God is our God, whose loving kindness and truth preserve us through all of the storms of life that lash down upon us. Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day. (Psalm 91:5, KJV)

So, in the end, truth hurts or truth preserves. It all depends on one's relationship with God who holds the key to all truth!

God Bless You,
Linda

2 comments:

Donna said...

Thank you for your faithfulness in writing these devotions.

Linda Croft said...

Thank you, Donna. I appreciate your encouragement, and especially appreciate the faithful prayers of my readers. God answers those prayers, and it is to His glory alone that this site was borne and continues.
God Bless You,
Linda