Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Thirsty Soul

 1As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.
 2My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
 3My tears have been my meat day and night, while they continually say unto me, Where is thy God?
 4When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: for I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holyday. 

Thirsty Soul

My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. (Psalm 42:2a, NKJV)

In reality, all people have a thirsty soul which thirsts for the living God. The difficulty is that most people do not recognize the object of their thirst. They may sense a void deep within themselves, or they may feel a sense of loss, but they do not understand the reason for this void.

We have all experienced thirst; imagine how good that icy cold glass of water tastes after several hours in the hot sun. I think there are times that we would even be willing to pay a million dollars for that single glass of water! Yet, man's thirst for God is much greater than even life itself. Life is fleeting, perhaps only a few mere decades, yet eternity is forever.

That very thirst which exists in the depths of our souls is what makes us different from the animals. Man was created in the image of God: not just a physical image, but a spiritual image. Our spirits long for sweet fellowship with our Creator, the living God.

Can that thirst be satisfied? Why is it that most men never find the answer for the longing in the depths of their hearts? Yes, that thirst can be satisfied, but that satisfaction only comes from God, Himself, and in the manner in which He has ordained it to be!

In reality, man's sin separates him from God; sin has caused a deep chasm to exist between man's spirit and the Spirit of God. However, our amazing God was not undone by man's sin, but, rather, made a way for that chasm to be crossed. That bridge between God and man came in the person of the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the God-man who came to this earth for that express purpose. His death on the cross paid the penalty for that sin, and His resurrection conquered death forever.

What, then, is the remedy for man's thirsty soul? That remedy is Christ! When our very souls are cast before Christ, when every fiber of our lives is given to Him, Christ fills every corner of our souls with His light and glory. The resulting joy and peace that reigns in our lives is inexpressible and unimaginable!

David expressed it in this way:
When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: for I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holyday.
Paul, in 1 Corinthians, said,
But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. (1 Corinthians 2:9, King James Version)
May we, by the grace of God, walk in sweet fellowship with Christ, not overcome by the things of this world, but with our eyes fixed on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: