Thursday, August 04, 2011

Rejoice and Be Glad!

 16Let all those that seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee: let such as love thy salvation say continually, The LORD be magnified.
 17But I am poor and needy; yet the Lord thinketh upon me: thou art my help and my deliverer; make no tarrying, O my God. 

 Rejoice and Be Glad!

Have you ever had one of those days when the last thing you want to hear is, "Rejoice and be glad!"? Life certainly throws enough surprises that it is truly impossible to run around being happy all of the time. Do you think that is what David, the psalmist, really means in this Bible passage from Psalm 40?

If we look at the rest of Psalms 40:16, David clarifies his command by saying, Let such as love thy salvation say continually, The LORD be magnified. I believe that David is not thinking of being happy, happy, happy, all of the time, but rather, he is speaking of a deeper happiness and joy that go beyond just a smile on our face. 

How do we respond when life throws curves of difficulty in our path? What happens when we find out that our brother-in-law has inoperable cancer? Of course, we do not put a smile on our face and say, "I have to be happy anyway." Rather, we grieve with our sister, comfort her and her husband in any way we can, and remind them that we are praying for God's grace through these most difficult days.

The happiness we feel is a deep peace and consolation, knowing that nothing is happening apart from the good and perfect will of God. We know that God will answer our prayers and wrap His arms of grace around our sister and brother-in-law. In addition, we take great comfort in seeing the way God has worked in their lives especially in the last two years, bringing them both into a deeper relationship with Him. In God's amazing timing, He has already been preparing them for this time.

In great peace, we say with David, But I am poor and needy; yet the Lord thinketh upon me: thou art my help and my deliverer; make no tarrying, O my God. We know, and are comforted that our God will answer that prayer, and deep within our hearts we are comforted and can still rejoice and be glad!

What an amazing God we serve!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: