Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Invisible Forces

 13Be pleased, O LORD, to deliver me: O LORD, make haste to help me.
 14Let them be ashamed and confounded together that seek after my soul to destroy it; let them be driven backward and put to shame that wish me evil.
 15Let them be desolate for a reward of their shame that say unto me, Aha, aha. 

Invisible Forces

Perhaps I have seen too many cartoons, but when I read the verses shown above, I can visualize a superhero with lightning streaking out from his pointed finger and driving back the hordes of evil seeking to overpower him. In reality, that is really not too far from the truth. Though we cannot see the invisible forces of good and evil that surround us, we know that God does drive back those who wish evil upon us.

In my Bible reading today, I read one of my favorite stories about the prophet Elisha. from 2 Kings 6. The king of Syria was making war against Israel, yet it seemed to him that he had a spy in his court, because Israel always seemed to know when and where they would strike. Unknown to the king, God was speaking through the prophet, Elisha, so that he could warn Israel of any imminent attack.

The king of Syria, learning of this, decided to find and kill Elisha. Discovering that he was in Dothan, the king of Syria surrounded the city with all of his forces. Things certainly never looked more bleak for Elisha. The servant of Elisha, seeing the city surrounded said, "Alas, my master! What shall we do?" (2 Kings 6:15, NKJV

Read the what happened in verses 16 - 17.
So he answered, "Do not fear, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them." And Elisha prayed, and said, "LORD, I pray, open his eyes that he may see." Then the LORD opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw. And behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.
What did the servant see? The servant saw the fiery horses and chariots of the LORD surrounding the army of Syria. Now I know, this makes for a wonderful story, but what does that have to do with us in our day? 

Is God's arm shortened in our day? Is He somehow limited in His ability to help His people? No! We have every right to cry out, just as David did, Be pleased, O LORD, to deliver me: O LORD, make haste to help me. I sometimes wonder how many times we fail to receive God's help because we do not believe He is really there to help us. Somehow, we find ourselves unworthy of His time and effort.

We must remember who we really are! We are the children of God, not righteous on our own account, but righteous because we have been bought and paid for by the blood of Christ. As new creatures in Christ, we have been transformed; old things are past and all things have become new. As children of God, we have every right to call out to God for help no matter what our circumstances, and to expect that God will truly help us.

God's invisible forces are just as active today as they were in the time of Elisha. How amazing is that? Now that should put a spring in your step and a song in your heart!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: