Saturday, August 06, 2011

Friends or Enemies

 4I said, LORD, be merciful unto me: heal my soul; for I have sinned against thee.
 5Mine enemies speak evil of me, When shall he die, and his name perish?
 6And if he come to see me, he speaketh vanity: his heart gathereth iniquity to itself; when he goeth abroad, he telleth it.
 7All that hate me whisper together against me: against me do they devise my hurt.
 8An evil disease, say they, cleaveth fast unto him: and now that he lieth he shall rise up no more.
 9Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me. 

Friends or Enemies!
David, the Psalmist, was certainly struggling with life when he wrote this psalm, and his struggles all to often have a very familiar ring to them. Friends are so important to us, but what happens when we must ask the question, "Are they friends or enemies?" What happens when our dearest friends turn against us and become our greatest enemies?

David was so perplexed that he was considering his own sin. "Could I have brought this upon myself by my own sin?" he seemed to ask. He already knew that he could not trust his enemies; when they spoke to him their words were filled with lies, but now, even his friends had turned against him. What was he to do?

It is at times such as this that we begin to understand the precious relationship we have with the Lord Jesus Christ. Even our own sin does not separate us from Christ. Though it does affect our closeness to Him, He is always ready to forgive when we come to Him with a repentant heart. There is no person on earth, no matter how close they may be to us, who is as faithful as our dearest Friend. At some time or another, everyone will hurt or disappoint us, just as we will do to them. But, Christ never leaves or forsakes us, and He never hurts or disappoints us.

I wonder if that is the reason God allows such things to happen to us. 

It is interesting to note that David, when overcome by the circumstances of his life, always turned to the Lord, and he always found the Lord waiting right there for him. No matter how great his sin, God always responded to his repentant heart.

What kind of a relationship do we have with Christ? Is He our best Friend? Do we know what it is like to have times of sweet fellowship with Him? How much time do we set aside to just quietly reflect upon who Christ is and what He has done in our own lives? Truly, these times are not wasted! 

Friends or enemies? People will fail us, but Christ is always there; His love never fails!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: