Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Be Still and Know!

 9He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.
 10Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. 

Be Still and Know!

Be still, and know that I am God
I have to marvel at the wisdom of the Psalmist's words in verse 10 of Psalm 46. Before the command, "And know," he said, "Be still." When you think of that, if you are like me, you have to admit that it is very hard to find times to just "be still." When I do find time to sit, it is hard to keep my mind from rushing in fifty different directions at once.

I would challenge each of us to take some time to just think about everything we know about God. How many adjectives can we think of to describe Him? How many life changing events can we remember that are direct results of God's intervention on our behalf? How many answered prayers can we remember? How many people can we recall who have miraculous testimonies of God's working in their lives? These are just a few questions to get us started.

But, there is more to verse 10, is there not?
Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.
How has that verse been fulfilled? When Psalm 46 was written, the children of God were the Israelites who lived in the "Promised Land." However, the children of God today are mostly those who have descended from the heathens of the Psalmist's day, and are scattered throughout all of the lands on the earth.

God has and is being exalted among the heathen and is exalted in all of the earth. How many books, written thousands of years ago have such a profound effect on our daily lives today? God's Word is a living Word, written over the course of hundreds of years, and yet relevant to the people of our day just as much as it was relevant to the people in the time it was written.

What an amazing God we serve! Yes, it is good for us to be still, and know our God. Even in the middle of times of great political and physical stress, this world is under the control of His mighty hand. He alone deserves our total trust and devotion!

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: